marking ceiling cutouts by using laser level
I saw a pretty good idea in Fine Homebuilding.  They said to put markings on the floor so that pointing a laser level straight up from that spot would illuminate the place where a j-box should be.  Only problem is that I don't have a laser level.  Any cheap ones worth getting?

I keep thinking there are probably good ways to do the same thing.  One that comes to mind is a ladder and a plumb bob
rent one 

pretty simple solution
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(05-22-2017, 04:21 PM)EricU Wrote: They said to put markings on the floor 

One that comes to mind is a ladder and a plumb bob

Not sure why we need a laser to do what we have been able to do for centuries.

I am all for progress, but one does not need a laser level to mark where can lights should go.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
One doesn't need one but I could mark 5 or 6 times faster with a 5 dot laser. My times worth $100 an hour.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

for this job, I could really just use one of the $20 ones, I think.  Self-leveling would be nice
My nephew is an electrician and uses this method and while probably the easiest way to get it done don't lose sight of the fact the floor is known the obstacles in the ceiling often are not so use caution before cutting big holes
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

right now I have about 15 j-boxes I need to cut out.  I'm going to take pictures before I put up the drywall
Use a plumb bob to mark the floor.  Hang the drywall.  Use a plumb bob to mark the ceiling from the mark on the floor.
“It is easy to be conspicuously 'compassionate' if others are being forced to pay the cost.”  ― Murray N. Rothbard
(05-22-2017, 04:21 PM)EricU Wrote: I saw a pretty good idea in Fine Homebuilding.  They said to put markings on the floor so that pointing a laser level straight up from that spot would illuminate the place where a j-box should be.  Only problem is that I don't have a laser level.  Any cheap ones worth getting?

I keep thinking there are probably good ways to do the same thing.  One that comes to mind is a ladder and a plumb bob

Flashlight.  Keychain laser attached to something so it sits on the floor.
I got one of the $14 Ryobi laser cubes.  Figure there are a few apps that I will be able to find for it, and a decent laser level will mostly sit unused most of the time.