question about rosewood/cocobolo allergy
I know some on the forum are allergic to Rosewood etc

Is it just an allergy to the dust .. meaning is the wood itself safe for someone with the allergy to handle or use?

So for example can some one with the allergy use a bowl or a handle or chopsticks made from cocobolo?

Thanks

Robert
I expect that the complete answer is that it depends on the severity of the allergy and the finish (if any) on the wood.

I would suggest asking up in hand tools. Lacquered rosewoods have been used for handles (totes, knobs, etc) for a long time. Also, there are some folks that frequent hand tools that have significant wood allergies.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
The short answer is maybe.  There are quite a few documented cases of allergic reactions to contact with a finished product like cocobolo jewelry.  While a coco or rosewood spoon or bowl might be attractive, I'd relegate them into the display only category if you believe there might be folks handling them who will have an adverse allergic reaction to them.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
This should help clear it up for you.
http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articl...-toxicity/

IIRC, the irritant lies within the oils in the wood itself. They don't go away with time either.
Meaning, the dust remains "toxic" for years. When I work with Cocobolo, I work in full
sleeves, a respirator, a full face shield, goggles, long pants, socks & shoes, gloves, and
a thin skull cap to keep it out of my hair. A painter's hood will work too.
If I had a haz-mat suit, I'd wear it too.
I try to work with it outside if I'm cutting it.
If I'm turning it, I make sure to vacuum up all the dust as soon as I'm finished.
I try not to track the dust all thru the house as well.

I do not own a dust collector or a filter unit, those are on the wish list.
If you have one, use it.
I make sure to throw away any used sandpaper, stirring up as little dust as possible.
I wipe down my tools with rubbing alcohol after turning it too.

Ideally, you should blast any dust off yourself with compressed air outside before going back in the house.
By now, you've probably heard the phrase :
"There are 2 types of people. Those who are allergic to Cocobolo, and those who will be allergic to Cocobolo."
I have found that to be true. The allergies to it are accumulative.
You might start out with a mild rash the first few times you use it, and after that it just gets worse & worse.
Breathing problems, eye irritation, severe rashes, and even blisters are other reactions.

The link I provided above will add some info I have not touched on here.

As for finished articles, it is generally safe IF it has a finish on it.
I would not use any bowls or spoons made from it for anything
other than a display.

I hope this helps someone.
I don't go near it, will not touch it and will walk from a demo if it's being turned. Chances are I will be close to death next time I have a reaction. It's not worth my life.
If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning

I'm fortunate not to have the allergy and love working it, but had a neighbor who was crazy-allergic to it. That said, if the wood were just a piece of wood (tuning blank, board, etc) was no problem. Something about the dust did it for him, but we could never figure out why since all forms have the oils in them.
(05-24-2017, 07:22 PM)jcredding Wrote: I'm fortunate not to have the allergy and love working it, but had a neighbor who was crazy-allergic to it.  That said, if the wood were just a piece of wood (tuning blank, board, etc) was no problem.  Something about the dust did it for him, but we could never figure out why since all forms have the oils in them.

IMHO, there are two types of people, those who are allergic to it and those who will be. I turned it for a number of years and then, WHAM!!
 One note to all, African Blackwood is in the dalbergia family, same as rosewood, kingwood and cocobolo
If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning

(05-24-2017, 07:51 PM)AnthonyYak Wrote: IMHO, there are two types of people, those who are allergic to it and those who will be. I turned it for a number of years and then, WHAM!!
 One note to all, African Blackwood is in the dalbergia family, same as rosewood, kingwood and cocobolo

I did not know that about African blackwood or kingwood and probably would not have guessed that without your heads-up.

thank you
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I suspect it's similar to poison ivy; About 15% are not allergic to it. I have been working with cocobolo and others in the dalbergia genus for over 30 years and never have had a reaction to it. In my shop I have Brazilian tulipwood, Brazilian rosewood, Brazilian kingwood, Mexican kingwood, african blackwood, madagascar rosewood, cochen rosewood, Amazonian rosewood, cocobolo, East Indian rosewood and Honduran rosewood. Never a reaction with any, but I also wear a half face respirator to protect my lungs from any dust.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Years ago, I turned a bowl from some cocobolo. I had a really bad poison ivy like rash that lasted for 6 weeks. All over my arms, my neck, my chest. I was miserable for weeks and weeks.

I even had a rash from a turned cocobolo pen that was finished with a thick coat of CA glue. I clipped it on my shirt and the finished wood was against my skin. Got a rash from that. Wasn't as bad as the rash from the bowl turning.

I don't allow cocobolo in my shop, and will not handle it. I haven't had any problems from rosewood plane totes and knobs.
"Mongo only pawn in game of life."        Mongo