Planning to make a 3-layer exterior door
Plan to make an exterior door, something like this photo. I'm assuming it needs a middle layer for strength. Would 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch BB plywood be a good choice? If so, should the outer layer boards be glued to the plywood? Not sure how to allow for seasonal expansion with boards on plywood.
Thanks for your thoughts. --Peter

Attached Files Image(s)

here is how to do it
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Thank you for the link. --Peter
I'm building an exterior door right now following Joe's basic process.  It's very straight forward and the stub mortise and tenon can be cut with a dado blade, no fancy tools/machines required.  Now that I'm building one like this I look at every door I pass to see how it was made.  To my surprise, most all of the exterior doors I saw during a recent vacation used some variation of the applied moldings Joe uses to hold in the panels.  I always thought the panels were captured in a dado.  Nope, they use a much better approach.  As Joe pointed out, the moldings allow you to prefinish the panels and around the inside of the exterior moldings before installing the panels. 

I think Joe described gluing and nailing in the inside moldings, but I plan to screw them in place so that the panels can be removed for refinishing, or replacement should that ever become necessary. 

Some of the doors I saw were in the "cottages" in Newport, RI, you know, the ones built by the Vanderbuilts and their friends around the turn of the 20 th century.  I was really surprised to see that every door I looked at was some kind of stave core construction meaning they had veneer skins glued onto the stiles; couldn't see the edges of the rails so I don't know about them.  I don't what kind of glue they were using in the late 1800's, but it was good enough to survive until 2017.  

John