Miter Saw Question
I'm working on the design for a miter saw station (stationary).  I have a pic of the sketchup below.  I've only drawn the surroundings and table portions so far.  The black box on the right is a set of shelves that I'll likely not move.  The wall on the left is where the garage door is.  On the current layout, boards could stick past that wall on the left side if I had the door open.  The whole length is a hair under 12', so it shouldn't be too often that I have to open the door.

The question I have is where to horizontally place the saw.  Where it is pictured now is about the furthest right it could go due to stuff on the wall now.  That would give me a measured cutting length of about six feet.  Should I keep it there or move it to the left?  In the past, I've usually had a short side and a long side and it's worked fairly well.  Instinct leads me to believe I should move it between 12" and 24" to the left.  What sayeth the braintrust?

[Image: V1a_zps5dgllkbr.png]
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
Everybody's woodworking is different.  I use my 12" miter saw to break down longer pieces so I like as much space to the left of the blade as I can get.  I currently have about 8' which serves me well.  I guess it depends on what your woodworking calls for and how you've got your shop set up.

I don't see a need to have a lot of space on the right side of the blade except of the off-cut pieces.  If I do need right side support I use a roller stand or other type of work support.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
I always have the long side to the left......easier to see your mark. Scrap bin on the right.  
Laugh

Ed
I'd have to ask, are you Left handed? Chop saws are one of the examples of it being a right handed world. All of the choppers I can think of have the motor to the right side. This makes for a line of sight from the left side of the saw, and rather suggests the user stand to the left of the saw. Trying to cut from the right side will give you an obstructed view of where you want to make your cut.

With that in mind most of your cuts will start with the piece while still long being on the Left side of the blade, Moving left will shorten your ability to cut a longer piece while fully supported. Going Right will increase that.

So the real question is, Do you actually cut from the Left side, or the Right? If you in fact do cut from the Right, moving Left will increase the amount of wood you can support. You want to set it up with this in mind, or you will forever fight your set up. If you cannot decide, or find that much of the time you are making cuts right at half the total length of the stock, then centered is the best bet.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
If I was cutting on a mark, the view would be important. However, I'm using the Kreg system as I have in the past. Other times, I've found that using that system, I can cut on the left without issue. In this situation, I have an obstruction on the right and am clear on the left beyond the ends. If I move to the right, it cuts down the length of board I can deal with. If I move to the left, I can make about a 7.5 ft cut with the Kreg system.
Not sure what you are calling the Kreg system?
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(05-25-2017, 07:01 PM)Steve N Wrote: Not sure what you are calling the Kreg system?

Lost me too....every miter saw & ras has the motor on the right, it's always an obstruction.

Ed
http://www.rockler.com/kreg-precision-me...ystems-kit

Essentially, I am not making a mark on the board and cutting on the mark, I'm setting up a stop on a measuring jig and cutting with the board against a stop.
I've got the older Kreg rail and stop, so I know what yer talking about.
My saw is set up for more room on the left. I've got about 6' on the right, and can fudge that if I run the board over the top of my lathe.
I'm right handed, and like my finished cut length board to end up on the right side.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020