Great wood source
Bought some hickory off of e-bay, decided to drive 10 hours (one way) mainly to visit with the man. I was so very impressed with Gary Green, he does all the milling himself. I saw a large portion of his stock and it all looks fabulous. The 100 bf of hickory I bought is fabulous with several boards 10 - 12" w.

His web site is www.woodsbygwgreen.com

The next time I'll just have it shipped. Long & tedious drive
Jim
Any idea on what shipping costs?
(05-23-2017, 10:04 PM)appletonrc Wrote: Any idea on what shipping costs?

It always depends where you are, size of the freight & weight. Recently I had 2200 lbs. of wood from NC to me in SW Mo. It cost $500.

That might seem high but I don't have very many options where I live.

The 100 bf of hickory would've cost about $160, the cost of the gas I used.
Jim
(05-25-2017, 05:58 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: The 100 bf of hickory would've cost about $160, the cost of the gas I used.

Good choice. In this particular instance, the $160 was better spent on gas and time than shipping. Now you know where the man is, a bit of who he is, and what his place is like.

When you place your next order, you will have an image in your mind of the guy on the other end. So the $160 is a good trade off. And now that you know those things, you can simply pay for shipping next time. Good deal all around. My guess is you knew this already.

There is plenty of stock available in Los Angeles but it all goes through several hands before getting to my level. 10 hours of driving would put me near Phoenix. Not many wood mills in Phoenix.
Just because shooting fish in a barrel is easy, that doesn't mean there are some fish that should remain unshot.
www.WestHillsWood.com
www.HOPublishing.com
FACEBOOK: #WoodShopWednesday
I too live in SWMO more or less. You're right, despite the large number of sawmills there are few project quality lumber suppliers. I'm at Lake of the Ozarks and you'd think that with all the retirees doing woodwork we'd have that and a woodworking store but none to find. I get oak, cedar from Tunas at ridiculously cheap prices but have to dry and surface myself. I go to Springfield for stuff. A 150mi RT.
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.
being in the greater Chicago are I am spoiled...If my suppliers don't have it they are happy to get it (I get there's costs added). If you are looking to ship stuff try Uship.com. its usually just independent guys looking to haul just about whatever wherever. Prices are reasonable....I shipped 1000 lbs. worth of tools from Tampa to Chicago for under $400. Was very pleased with the service and the whole experience.