Out of Practice
Sheesh.

I had an accident, a fall, some of you may remember, back in September. I have been out of the woodshop since then. In that time, Miss T had my guy build a new shop to accommodate the chair, and I got back in the woodshop a couple weeks ago. The first few weeks, of course, were simply spent organizing the shop and deciding where things went then building a couple workbenches. Last week I started on my first project... a small spalted maple and mahogany box.

It has been an interesting journey so far. I am trying to use hand tools as much as possible, beading the edge of the top with a wooden molding plane for example...
I was shocked to learn...
... how much I have forgotten.

Some may be due to the memory issues related to surgeries and long periods under anesthesia. There has been definite loss related to that. Might just be old guy syndrome. Lol.
Or... I could just be out of practice, and it will come back. I felt fumble fingered... at least half the time. But, the smell of the wood and the whisper of the planes were still a comfort.
If I discover I have to learn all over again, like I had to relearn to walk...

It will be a pleasant journey...
Thanks to Miss T... I'll have a sweet classroom.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
You've got a good woman Jim.  No matter what happens she'll be by your side.  Good to see you back in the shop.  And don't worry about being a little rusty.  Heck, sometimes I go out to the shop just to watch TV!  It's always a good place to be.

Lonnie
I admire your return to the shop and the "spunk" in your post!
Jim

It happens to me all the time and I have not done any woodworking  since Nov last year.  However, when ever this happens and I get back to wood turning I always start small with a few pens to get back in the grove.

It seems that making a box is the same for you.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Something tells me you'll get back in the groove quickly with your good attitude (and great woman)!
Like riding a bike Jim, all the same stuff, just from a different perspective. Think about that last part on everything you do for a while, we don't want to hear about any injuries.

Keep plugging along Brother, you know you have a cheering section here.

Oh yeah, you don't get any special treatment, about that box, no pics, didn't happen

I think if I was a Bass I'd be skeert.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Steve,

I'll post pics tomorrow, as soon as I get time to take them. Have a long list of errands to run.
Sigh....
Jim in Okie
I'm 67 years old and 6 months ago I had emergency surgery on my back.  The surgery was followed by 6 weeks in various hospitals.  When I returned home I had exactly the same problems you described.  I couldn't stand for more than 30 minutes at a time, I had difficulty in concentrating, etc.  With the encouragement of the physical therapists and my wife I got thru it.  It took me about 3 months after getting out of the last hospital.  Now I think I'm at least 95% back to normal.

Good luck to you.
AS promised, some pictures.
First, the therapy shop the wife got my GUY to build.  I have to pay for it, but I probably wouldn't have committed if they hadn't teamed up and convinced me that I have earned the right to have such a nice place to spend my time. 
No   I have always said I married UP. 
Raised
[Image: shop%20therapy_zpshiv5hvqh.jpg]

You can see the box sitting on the woodworking bench.  As promised, pics of the box to follow. 
Smirk

I am always trying to do as much as possible with the hand tools, as you can see here, I cut the beading in the top's frame with the old wooden molding plane I acquired from Lee Valley. (Thanks to Rob Lee for his valuable advice on that front.)

[Image: molding%20plane_zpsjg3jpmuj.jpg]

After I finished with the molding plane, I used my old block plane to dress up the burn marks and even up the sizes on all the frame pieces so they would match up when cut to frame out the top.

Here is a side view of the box.  The corners of the box do not line up as well as I had hoped.  I worked hard to line them up, and I guess as I tightened the band clamp that last bit, they slid out of alignment.  A shot in each corner with the pinner maybe?
[Image: Side%20view_zpsewsi34ny.jpg]

The diagonal pic does show a positive.. the grain on the box sides does match and follows around well. 
Cool  I am, however, still learning to use the molding plane, so the beading is a bit uneven.  I don't know how to fix that on this box.  Practice will make perfect I am sure. 
Yes  I have nothing but time.

[Image: diagonal%20view_zpsojstpenu.jpg]

The pic of the top... book matched from a single slice of the Maple from the front yard cut down a couple years ago, and shaped to fit the frame.  When trimming to fit lengthwise, it came up just a hair short, and nothing I can really do except fill in with  a little sawdust and superglue filler.  Or... let it go.  I think I will finish this box and use it around the house... call it practice.
[Image: the%20top_zpsbgshuoxn.jpg]

I still have to apply the Watco Oil Finish after some additional sanding, and I need to add a bottom to the box, THAT is a simple step.
I am pretty happy since it is my very first real project after being OUT for so long, but it did remind me that there are things I have forgotten.

Rolleyes   I always need to take my time and go slowly, looking two steps ahead until I am sure of myself again.

Feedback and suggestions are always welcome.

jim
Jim in Okie
Your wife got a sister? Your shop looks great and kudos to your wife for staying on you about having it built!