Out of Practice
While on active duty and stationed in memphis, I watched the US Olympic baseball team play an exhibition game at the base. Their pitcher had only one arm, and if I remember correctly... he went on to play pro baseball. We are limited only by our will and determination.
( and what Miss Tina will let me do without nagging me into an early grave...)

For example... skydiving for my 60th birthday... out
Motorcross... out.
Bungee jumping... out

I had actually considered the first one before I broke my leg...
I had lined up a jump with recon while on active duty, training and all, but it was "overcome by events."
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Very inspirational thread.  Thank you for sharing.  Beautiful box.
I have spent a bit of time on the box since I posted those last pictures, mostly on correcting would would be the mistakes I made early on.  A wise old adviser told me that they are NEVER mistakes, until you discover you can't correct them. 
Yes  I dug deep in the fog, and found the tricks of the trade, and although there were things I couldn't make disappear, I could make them much less noticeable.

I also spent time on the final details for small box making, such as inserting the supports for the free moving bottom and forming the inserts for the top that will keep the top centered when it's placed on top of the box.  Then the box was stained and protected with Watco Medium Walnut Danish Oil.  I like using this product as it gets into the wood, and protects it.  You can wait a couple days and WAX the box for a soft sheen, or leave it natural.

Here is the Box, after staining... I am pleased with the way the Danish Oil makes the grain pop in the Spalted Maple... as well as the Mahogany.  I have used a Natural Danish Oil on the Maple before and felt it was too light.

[Image: box%20stained_zps4sw2iqwd.jpg]

Next up is the top, viewed from above, after staining... I was happy with the way this turned out as well.  With the grain popping, you can see the bookmatching in the spalted insert much better in the pattern now.  I am an admirer of the contrast between the dark tight grained Mahogany and the light wild grain of the Spalted Maple.

[Image: box%20top%20stained_zpsrjzicb11.jpg]

Lastly, is the top of the box, viewed from the underside, as if you have taken it off and laid it on the table.  You can see the nice grain in the inserted Maple Panel, as well as the hand cut centering pieces.  If this was a special jewelry box or an item I had built on request, I might have gone with hinges, although some like this method as well.

[Image: underside%20stained_zpstbe2ygom.jpg]

I will probably put about three coats of beeswax on the box for that soft sheen after a couple days for the drying time on the Danish Oil.
I also like the "Smell" of the wax as you wax and buff the projects... it makes the shop smell great, like you accomplished something.

This was my first real project since I got back in the shop, and there are a few more on my Honey Do list.  I have to make a Cutter for my wife's new hobby, Home Made Soap.  That will be interesting.  I also need to make a Tumbler for Raffle Tickets to replace the original my wife cobbled together five or six years ago for the Charity Tournament she was directing.  The tournament has outgrown the tumbler she threw together, it was so stuffed at the tournament this year, they had to  put them in a Rubbermade tub and stir them by hand.

Of course, I have all kinds of ideas rolling around in my head... (pun intended... ) but you can bet this thing won't be thrown together, and it will show off the wood, display some inlays.. and be something that will last.  The Tournament sponsor will be proud of this one, and be happy that his name is on the barrel. 
Smirk
Jim in Okie
I was away from the bench for a very long time. I got very rusty. It isn't unusual, but it's no fun to be the one experiencing it.
I think one thing that can help is to build items for the shop. The standard can be low enough to just give you (or me) time to get back in the swing of things. "Satisfactory" is an adequate standard for a shop scrap bin or other accessory.
Thanks paul,
I started with a few shop projects... drawers in a repurposed kitchen cabinet, rebuilt the shadowbox for hand tools, numerous clamp racks, and then a 3' x 8' workbench top.
Still working on shop stuff while glue dries between steps on this project. Lol. Great advice!
Jim in Okie