United Parcel Service Caution (U.S. issue)
It seems that actually delivering packages is way too much trouble for UPS these days. So they've decided to cut back on deliveries in some circumstances. If a package requires someone to accept it, e.g. a signature is required or a COD charge applies, they will make one attempt to deliver and if no one is available, they divert the package to an "Access Point" for the consignee to pick up on their own time and at their own expense. They leave a little post it note to tell you they didn't deliver your package.

This applies even if the failure of the one delivery attempt is a UPS error. (I learned about all this when a delivery person wrongly thought my package was due a COD payment and I was not available to deal with the delivery. Might not have made much difference if I had been there, since I knew there was no COD payment due, while the driver somehow thought there was. Of course the attempted delivery was on a Friday and the package didn't get forwarded to the designated "Access Point" until Monday. Between drive time and standing in line at the "Access Point" I invested just over an hour of lost productivity.)

Through the years I've generally had good experiences with UPS. Better than with FedEx (which may be a local variable). This new policy, however, is likely to be problematic for home deliveries and small businesses on occasion if vendors require signatures or for those who make COD purchases. It will also be a problem whenever UPS makes an error in delivery. In my experience, UPS customer service was not much help. Rather surly, too (but that may be a local issue).

I would say, whether you're buying or selling, don't go for "signature required" or COD deliveries or any other features that require personal interaction unless you have someone sure to be available to receive a delivery. Otherwise, unhappiness will ensue and undoubtedly you will be blamed.

My vendor is probably more upset about this than I am. They have more to lose than I do. They are pursuing the issue with UPS.

I hope this is not a trend setting development that we can expect FedEx, DHL and USPS to follow. And I am looking forward to the new Amazon delivery service. More competition can't hurt.
Fair winds and following seas,
Jim Waldron
This has actually been their policy for a couple of years in some areas.  Maybe they recently changed your area to that policy.
I've had my share of troubles with all of them, but I'll take UPS over FedEx any day of the week.
This has been the policy of our local FedEx for at last 10 years.  If you are expecting a delivery that requires signature or some action on your part, ALWAYS ask for and follow the tracking number.  You can request alternate delivery methods or arrange a different delivery date.  I personally hate the post-it notes.  In my neck of the desert (we have no woods here), it is not unusual for the wind to blow the note off.  That's why I check the tracking number.  An undeliverable package will almost real time show up as undelivered, then you'll know where to pick it up.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill