Zip Strip good for removing old finish?
Hello boys!

I'm in the process of making a new desk for my wife. The base is all new work (cherry), but the top is being reclaimed from an old solid cherry entertainment center that technology has rendered absolutely useless. The entertainment center had a clear finish of some sort, so it's not stained in an manner.

I have a can of Zip Strip from an old home improvement project. Will that also work for removing that old entertainment center finish?

If it does work, is it as simple as strip, sand, then new varnish, or is anything else needed in between?

Fortunately, I had to cut the length of the top, so I have a "scrap" piece that I can test on.

Thanks in advance for any insights you have to share.

Bergie
I often see here Klean-Strip mentioned as an excellent paint/varnish remover. MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) is the active ingredient. You want MEK. Not sure what ZipStrip uses.
Thanks, Joe!
Chosen hobby: woodworking
Forced hobby: Cape Cod repair (follow along at www.oldhomeblog.com)
Joe is right about the MEK. You will probably have a difference in color between the new cherry and the cherry in the older piece. Cherry darkens with age, even if only in indirect sunlight. Also different species of cherry have different raw colors. You may find yourself having to match the two. Above my paygrade for sure, but there is a lot of expertise in that field here.  Ed
Ed