Shaper question
I have the Grizzly 1.5hp shaper. The only spindle I have is the one to use 1/2" shank router bits. I have 2 issues. First, the bit shank only sets in around 3/8". That kind of freaks me out. The second is I can't lower the spindle low enough to get to the table level. Any thoughts? Jeff
Using shanked router bits in a spindle moulder (called shaper in the language of the wild westerners) isn't a very good idea except as an emergency fix when no ther suitable tooling is on hand. Carbide tipped router bits do in order to cut well require a much higher RPM than the spindle can handle. Most collet adapters sold for fitting router tooling to the spindle moulder don't look very trustworthy either just like you have notised.
I think you should buy or ask a machinist to make a proper spindle for proper spindle moulder tooling.

By the way I am a huge fan of spindle moulders and use mine all the time for a wide variety of jobs.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
(05-25-2017, 02:51 PM)jeffss Wrote: I have the Grizzly 1.5hp shaper. The only spindle I have is the one to use 1/2" shank router bits. I have 2 issues. First, the bit shank only sets in around 3/8". That kind of freaks me out. The second is I can't lower the spindle low enough to get to the table level. Any thoughts? Jeff

you could make a table to raise it high enough to work. 

the 3/8" thing is puzzling... iI Grizzly really that cheap they cannot bore the spindle out deeper or has it packed full of sawdust and in need of cleaning? 

On a different note: Felder and several euro manufacturers make router spindles for their spindle molders  

I am not a proponent of  router bits in a shaper but considering CNC is all but designed around this type of tooling I fail to see what difference it makes other than speed.
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

This adapter?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Bit-Spin...rizzly.com
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Did you take out the 1/4" adapter before you put the 1/2" bit in?

It always works on paper!
Christ!  I'm really not that dumb. I can walk and chew gum at the same time. I even build things now and then. The thing was collecting dust for the last 6 months. The packaging long gone. I discovered my goof and logged on to fess up. I see I was already busted. (I was just seeing if you all were on your toes)! (wink)
Lol..
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020