So I thought I'd build a tabletop art easel
I'm on board with Danny from Houston. How in the hell can anyone be making any money on that. I think the nature of the marketplace these days is that places have to sell smaller stuff like this at a loss or an incredibly thin margin at best. Wherever this easel came from must sell tons of products to make up for the loss on the little stuff. At least I understand thats how big box stores operate. I'm not entirely sure if it translates to online retailers. The money companies have saved on things like physical stores and folks to staff it have led to all of us getting a much better price on a lot of stuff.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
(05-25-2017, 07:03 PM)Harold O. Wrote: Recently read where COSTCO makes next to nothing on retail sales. Most of their profit comes from membership fees (which costs them nothing). COSTCO is well known for beating up their vendors on pricing, etc. 

I read 75% of their operating profit comes from membership dues.  I have an executive Costco membership and every year I get a rebate check from Costco for multiples of what my membership cost.  An Executive Membership costs $110 and you get a 2% rebate on all your purchases.  If you make more than $5500 in purchases every year, your membership pays for itself.  Sounds like a lot, but one or two major purchases in a year is all it takes.  If you spend $100 a week on groceries, it'll nearly pay for itself.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(05-25-2017, 05:06 PM)Danny in Houston Wrote: Lot's of descendants would fight over this one.  Thomas Jefferson used it to draft the Declaration of Independence.

Thomas Jefferson Laptop

This uncommon desk, made entirely of mahogany, was made to Jefferson's specifications by the prominent Philadelphia cabinetmaker, Benjamin Randolph, with whom Jefferson lodged when he first came to Philadelphia in July 1775 and when he returned in May 1776.[5] Although a payment was recorded for Randolph's workmen for three boxes in September, the purchase of a writing box or lap desk was not noted in Jefferson's memorandum Books. Jefferson's drawings for the desk do not survive. The desk consists of a rectangular box with a drawer containing compartments for storing writing implements and paper. A hinged writing board is attached to the upper surface of the box.

[Image: Jefferson-Lap-Desk.jpg]

FWW reproduction build:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/membershi...144064.pdf
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
My cheapie arrived.  Its some kind of hardwood.  The drawer ain't much and has a luan bottom but it also comes with a luan ply pallet.  Its M&T construction on the easel part.  Brass plated hinges, snaps and a carrying handle. I threw a couple coats of topcoat on it just to cut down on staining.  Amazon had a mahogany one listed for about twice the price.  I've no complaints.  It works as advertised.

Mine, personally autographed and shipped is yours for $1399.00.  PM me if interested.
When we first bought our place in the boonies, I built three 12x12 barns over the first eighteen months. Pony barn, hay barn, and a wood / tractor storage barn. I built them to last and twenty plus years later, they are still here, don't leak, and we still use them. Their duties have changed, but they are still going. After the third, it was time for a workshop. Something with a floor, nicer doors, where I could build things. I started on the design, materials lists, etc. While I was at work, the wife called around and found an Amish company selling "Garden Sheds". You know the ones, they show up on the back of a flat bed / or trailer. The guys drop them where you point, an hour later the building is leveled out on some blocks and they are gone.

The 12x20 building was only 10% more than my cost for the base materials. This didn't include hinges, window, screws, nails....
I bought the building, and asked the non-Amish local how they could sell them that cheap and make money. He said he and the old man drove up to the factory once on business. One word... bulk.
Where I would buy forty 2x4s and ten sheets of barn siding, they bought it by the boxcar. The tracks ran thru the factory floor, with a siding to drop full cars, and then back up to, and haul away the empties.
Plus, the business was literally a family business. Great Grandpa started it, and most of the males in the family and half the females worked there in one job or another.

How do you compete with that.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
(06-01-2017, 07:52 PM)Kizar_Sozay Wrote: Mine, personally autographed and shipped is yours for $1399.00.  PM me if interested.
I was thinking about how much it would cost to get me to make a portable easel for someone.  $1500 is about right.  So I don't see a future in it.  Although, if someone was well-to-do and a serious artist, that would be nothing.  Looking at the art supply houses, there aren't many upscale easels for a discerning artist, just cheap ones for starving artists.  I will probably build at least one more
(05-25-2017, 07:03 PM)Harold O. Wrote: Recently read where COSTCO makes next to nothing on retail sales. Most of their profit comes from membership fees (which costs them nothing). COSTCO WALMART is well known for beating up their vendors on pricing, etc. No clue on how it works for items like this and Amazon.

Fixed it.
Jason

Well worth it to me. My family would likely end up breaking it anyway, so I'm very choosy when it comes to what I will spend my precious time on making a thing.
Ray