Contactor Overload Relay not working - need help
You will pay a lot more for a starter with the other features and it will state it has these safeguards.  They make adapters for the overloads so they can be mounted and wired into the circuit.    I would try and replace the 20 amp fuses with 15 amp time delay and see if that works and still give the protection needed.   The question is if they will hold the starting current.  Roly
Is there a 4kw 5hp vfd for sale?
Smile

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Id buy a teco pair from factorymation sized for the motor. Never seen a set not work with a static or rotary converter. Put the utility legs on t1 and t3.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

TDKPE's approach is where we were when I started this thread, and Ken has had no issues with it, so I went up this AM to check the amps on each leg and verify the control circuit voltage in case Ken was more cautious and wanted to add the OL relay.  Ken took a series of cuts as deep as he intends and I measured the amps on each leg.  With no load I got around 8 amps on two legs and essentially zero on the third.  During each cut I measured around 10 - 11 amps, with the highest I noted of 11.8 amps. 

Ken and I agreed that leaving it as it is poses little risk to the motor. 

Thanks everyone for your help.  Even though we decided not to add the OL relay, your input was really helpful in helping us get to our decision.  I checked the control voltage and measured 120V, so if we ever decide to add a new contactor and OL relay we'll know what to buy.  

John