On the way to buy some screws....
I just filed off the mushroomed over part by hand.  Filed from the side to match the angle of the socket.  Only took 5 mins.
~ Chris
This one was beyond just a file.....
No

Steel was very hard, and quite thick......took awhile with the grinder.    having to keep dunking the hot metal, to keep things tempered....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(05-28-2017, 12:19 PM)Jim Waldron Wrote: That's slick.  But when do we get to see those screws?  Or did you forget in all the excitement?  (That's how I always exhibit my senior status.)

Yes, it's definitely a sign of senior status when you forget about screws...

Nice tip, Admiral, about the use of a plumber's reamer to remove the inside damage on a socket chisel previously abused by an person.
I used the carbide rasp bit for a drill, to clean up after a normal drill bit.   Old chisel to dig out chunks..

As for screws..

Two boxes, plus the short screws I had on hand...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Nice save! I find a wide chisel to be invaluable around the shop, though mine is quite a bit shorter than yours.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop