Molding Plane - 3/4" Square Ovolo
This molding plane was made by "H Brown".

[Image: 10-_IMG_0823.jpg]

This plane is marked 7/8, but I'm sure it has been modified from its original profile, which I don't know what it was.
I do know that "S.W. Deakins" was most likely the guilty party. There is some neat looking, old script on the rear.

[Image: 09-_IMG_0822.jpg]

This plane has nice color and is in great shape.

[Image: 11-_IMG_0825.jpg]

The plane now makes a 3/4" square ovolo; the modification was well done and the blade matches perfectly.

[Image: 12-_IMG_0826.jpg]

[Image: 01-_IMG_0814.jpg]

I cheated and used cedar to demonstrate the functionality of the plane. Regardless, when using a molding plane, appropriate stock selection is important.

Here are a few in progress pictures.

[Image: 02-_IMG_0815.jpg]

[Image: 04-_IMG_0817.jpg]

[Image: 07-_IMG_0820.jpg]

[Image: 06-_IMG_0819.jpg]

Here's the final molding,

[Image: 08-_IMG_0821.jpg]

I marked out a 3/4" wide by 1.25" high molding; of course you can adjust as needed.

This is an easy molding plane to use; it has a deep fence and the spring isn't too steep. Also, the blade is easy to sharpen.

If you want it, the molding I made is included, just ask.

I'd like $40 plus shipping.

Thanks,
SteveB.
A nice plane at a fair price. If I didn't have a set of H&Rs capable making this same profile, I would buy this one just to save some time.
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

(Not looking to buy, just to learn)

What is meant by square ovolo moulding? I know ovolo is the rounded shape - it's the "square" part I'm curious about.
An Ovolo plane cuts twice as wide as it does deep, a Square Ovolo plane cuts the same in width and depth. anything inbetween is called a asymmetrical Ovolo. Incindentally Square Ovolos are sized by the width of the cord (from point to point of the arc.
(05-27-2017, 04:39 AM)JQuacker Wrote: (Not looking to buy, just to learn)

What is meant by square ovolo moulding? I know ovolo is the rounded shape - it's the "square" part I'm curious about.

Bad term...Roman versus Grecian...section of a circle versus section of an ellipse.
Price is now $40 shipped.
(05-27-2017, 06:23 AM)TheCabinetmaker Wrote: An Ovolo plane cuts twice as wide as it does deep, a Square Ovolo plane cuts the same in width and depth. anything inbetween is called a asymmetrical Ovolo. Incindentally Square Ovolos are sized by the width of the cord (from point to point of the arc.

Awesome! Thanks for the info.
Price lowered to $38 shipped.
Last reduction...$36 shipped.
PM sent