Looks like Dewalt will offer their tracksaw in their 60v max* flexvolt line
http://www.dewalt.com/en-us/products/pow...t/dcs520t1

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I like my corded model enough if I needed to be remote I'd have a generator in the back of my truck
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Yes i am sticking with my corded model.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I bought the 36v cordless dewalt tracksaw, and liked it so much I bought the corded model.

I don't even know if I can find the cordless saw anymore. Not that it matters, since one of the batteries quit working only a few months after I got it.

Are the li-ion batteries rebuildable now, they weren't when I got that saw, or I may have never gotten the corded model.

Duke

Just checked on amazon, the replacement 36v battery is $159 or the one direct from Dewalt is $396 and with shipping is less than a dollar from $400.

I think its cheaper to buy a generator and run the corded model than it would be to replace the batteries...
The only ones that arent rebuildable are the makita batteries. Once a cell goes bad the board essentially self destructs. All other brands if you have a  cell drop below minimum voltage to charge you can charge that cell and then the pack will recharge normally. 

As for replacing cells its not much different than nicad batteries. The problem is having the tools to do it and being able to get real cells. Lots of fake cellls out there. 

I remember the dw cordless version having battery issues when it first came out. There were so many returns that the refurb market was flodded with them. Lowest price i saw was just over $200 at one time. I regret not grabbing one at that price.
(05-30-2017, 07:14 PM)JDuke Wrote: I bought the 36v cordless dewalt tracksaw, and liked it so much I bought the corded model.

I don't even know if I can find the cordless saw anymore.  Not that it matters, since one of the batteries quit working only a few months after I got it.

Are the li-ion batteries rebuildable now, they weren't when I got that saw, or I may have never gotten the corded model.

Duke

Just checked on amazon, the replacement 36v battery is $159 or the one direct from Dewalt is $396 and with shipping is less than a dollar from $400.

I think its cheaper to buy a generator and run the corded model than it would be to replace the batteries...

IIRC, DeWalt made a 110 volt converter for the 36 volt line. If you can find one, they aren't cheap, maybe you can get lucky........check ebay.

Ed
(05-30-2017, 07:37 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: The only ones that arent rebuildable are the makita batteries. Once a cell goes bad the board essentially self destructs. All other brands if you have a  cell drop below minimum voltage to charge you can charge that cell and then the pack will recharge normally. 

As for replacing cells its not much different than nicad batteries. The problem is having the tools to do it and being able to get real cells. Lots of fake cellls out there. 

I remember the dw cordless version having battery issues when it first came out. There were so many returns that the refurb market was flodded with them. Lowest price i saw was just over $200 at one time. I regret not grabbing one at that price.

I got one of those refurbs, and yes batteries are an issue. I have two that are still good - one holds its charge well and the other fair. When they die it will go in the trash and I will get a corded model most likely NOT DeWalt just because of the way they failed to support the product.
Call me a dinosaur, but for other than drills (and I have corded ones as well), I can't see the real need for cordless saws, routers and such. And to a certain extent, some more than others, you sacrifice some power/torque to go battery over corded.  Anyone that does site work has a portable generator and plenty of extension cords, so what's the big deal with the "portability"?  But to each his own, and I would never criticize anyone else's choices, its just that I just never "got" the concept at all.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
"Call me a dinosaur, but for other than drills (and I have corded ones as well), I can't see the real need for cordless saws, routers and such. And to a certain extent, some more than others, you sacrifice some power/torque to go battery over corded. Anyone that does site work has a portable generator and plenty of extension cords, so what's the big deal with the "portability"? But to each his own, and I would never criticize anyone else's choices, its just that I just never "got" the concept at all."

Just like your cordless drills, it's pure convience. I would say a contractor would likely need them less because they setup for a large job like you mention. I bought my cordless stuff to rebuild a deck a few years ago and bought a couple of the larger batteries to go with it. The impact driver is a life saver for sure, I would recommind that to anyone. I use the circular saw to break down sheet goods out of the back of my pickup. I do also have a good corded circular saw for real finish cross cuts. I use a clamp guide with both. The cordless saw is much lighter than the big worm drive one. I use the cordless saws all quite a bit for random stuff. I actually use it for tree trimming as well when I don't need the chainsaw. The cordless jigsaw has just as much power as the corded one, so I really don't use the corded one much. I don't have a cordress router, but I have a small trim router for edge chamfers that I wish was cordless.

It was an excuse to buy tools, but there is a bit of a time saver when you don't have to spend time dragging out extension cords for one-off things.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
I looked all over for a 110v converter to use on it before I bought corded.

Never found one.

Duke

Just found one aftermarket, at $180, I think I'll stick to the one I already have with a tail.