DW735 tripping reset button
Use mineral spirits to clean the rollers.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

(05-31-2017, 06:30 AM)TDKPE Wrote: You don't have to open it to measure the current - just go into the panel that serves the circuit and put it there.  Make sure there is no other load on the ammeter, or if there is, make a note of the current on the circuit before and after starting the machine. 

Whether the mechanism is gummed, bearings are bad, or the motor is cooked, the ammeter will tell all.  You don't want it drawing more than its rated current (except at startup), which should be on a nameplate somewhere.  If the current draw is less than nameplate and the OL is tripping, obviously the OL device is suspect.  If it's drawing high current with no load or light load, look at the mechanisms and bearings.  Or the motor, but let's not get to writing epitaphs just yet.

I modified a short flat appliance extension cord to use with an ammeter, this cord has 12 ga. conductors.  I separated the conductor over about 8-10 inches making sure to keep the insulation intact. You put the ammeter's clamp over one conductor, not both. Ammeters are useful things. I have a few H.F. multimeters and they've done what I asked of them.
Since you just installed the new cutter head.....could there be an issue with the way something is put back together? That would be something I would do.....

Ok, well, it took me a while to get to it, but I finally got some current measurements on the planer.  It is drawing about 11 amps under no load, and jumps to the 19-20 range while planing about 15 thousandths off a 6 in wide white oak board.

Please help me out here.  The max current is obviously high, and the free running current seems awfully high as well.  However, I am not sure what I just learned.  Anyone have any advice on what my next steps should be?

Thanks for any and all help!
That unit has two feed speeds, which are you using?  Have you tried the other?
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
(06-04-2017, 11:32 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: That unit has two feed speeds, which are you using?  Have you tried the other?

I was running at the faster "dimensioning" cut, I just tried running at the "finishing" speed, and the current draw was down to 15 or 16 amps.  However, it still tripped the on board breaker.
What's the nameplate current rating? The ads on Amazon say it's a 15A planer, which it probably is, given that it has a 15A (NEMA 5-15) plug.

It sounds like what several posters have cautioned about - mechanical resistance in the mechanisms. Not having that planer, I couldn't begin to suggest where to start, though. And that OL device may be weakened at this point from multiple cycles (they're not really meant for that), but I'd start with cleaning and lubing and see where that goes.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Does a Byrd head use more or less power to operate it ?  I have seen arguments both ways.    Roly
The first thing I would try is removing any belts from the motor and check the motor draw while free-spinning.

I'd also check w/ Byrd and ask if they have any suggestions on how to check the planer.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
(06-05-2017, 11:07 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: The first thing I would try is removing any belts from the motor and check the motor draw while free-spinning.

I'd also check w/ Byrd and ask if they have any suggestions on how to check the planer.

Well, I got the planer partially disassembled today and took some additional current readings.  The motor running with no belt attached (not spinning the blades or the rollers) draws about 8.5 amps. 

With the belt connected to the blade head, but not the rollers, the draw is 12.5 amps.  

I don't have any idea what the planer motor alone should be drawing, but an additional 4 amps just to spin the blades under no load seems excessive.  Thoughts, anyone?

I will be heading over to Byrd's website next and see what I can learn there.