Changing motor capacitor
I did take it to the shop this morning.  I figured that it would be better to pay the $20 to have someone who really knows what they are doing rather than paying the $20 to keep replacing the capacitors every time they burn out.  It wasn't giving me much run time before they popped and the cheapest one I found was $7.50.  Too bad there isn't one that has an overload that will switch it off before it blows out.
I finally got the report back from the motor shop.  They said it tested out ok, but the "megger" test came back a little low.  They say it is usable but it will degrade over time.  They recommended a wash and bake process to fix it.  The process also includes new bearings at a cost of $196.40.  Considering I have never actually used this machine, I think I will just get the motor back and do that later or get a new motor.
I'd say that is a good choice, in hobbyist use you may have nothing to worry about, and if you do have problems you know a possible cause.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(06-27-2017, 09:13 AM)stav Wrote: I finally got the report back from the motor shop.  They said it tested out ok, but the "megger" test came back a little low.  They say it is usable but it will degrade over time.  They recommended a wash and bake process to fix it.  The process also includes new bearings at a cost of $196.40.  Considering I have never actually used this machine, I think I will just get the motor back and do that later or get a new motor.

You indicated it was popping capacitors quite regularly.

Did they find anything in that regard?
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
(06-27-2017, 09:13 AM)stav Wrote: I finally got the report back from the motor shop.  They said it tested out ok, but the "megger" test came back a little low. 

The winding insulation is degraded from elevated temperature and time at temperature.  Winding insulation is designed/specified to provide some minimum amount of time (in hours - something like 50,000-100,000) at motor full load in the max ambient (40C usually) environment, at least for continuous-duty motors.  Increasing the winding temperature decreases the anticipated insulation life by about half for every 10 deg. Celsius increase.  Beating a small motor hard can run out it's clock fast.

Sounds like that one is tired, and won't last much longer.  I'd use it until it fries, and be on the lookout for a replacement at your convenience.  If you get a replacement before that one fries, you can always stick a wire wheel on it, as that's normally super light-duty work.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Phil,

They did not find any issue with the capacitors.  I suspect that I corrected it before I took it in.  As I stated, I opened it and cleaned out the dust and cleaned the contacts before I took it to the shop.  It did start and run for a short time at my house after I did all that.  I didn't let it run long for fear that I would blow the cap again.

TDKPE,
This machine is running in Florida, but we don't get that hot often.  It is also 3 HP.  I guess some might call that small, but I only have one other that matches it.  Might be a little much for a wire wheel but maybe too tired for my planer.
Yeah, I lost sight of the fact that it could wrap your arm around the shaft, beat you silly with it, and just keep going.
Crazy
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(06-27-2017, 12:25 PM)TDKPE Wrote: Yeah, I lost sight of the fact that it could wrap your arm around the shaft, beat you silly with it, and just keep going.
Crazy

Laugh

While it would be somewhat amusing to see, I think I'll pass on that experience.