Just got my frame back from the framers (pics attached)
Thumbs Up 
Well I just went and picked up my frame from the framers, and although not quite perfect, I'm still happy with it overall. I think the overall color scheme is the biggest strength of it. I'll mostly let the pics speak for themselves. Just some quick info, though...the main wood is Brazilian Kingwood, and I used Basswood for the corner splines (first time I've ever done so on a frame). Also, as for the central item, I've gotten into antiquarian books over the past few years, and that's mostly why I got this old Bible leaf. If anyone's interested in extra info on it (like where I got it, for example), I'd be happy to talk more about it in another post in this thread. EDIT: Seems the pictures (at least a couple of them) got rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise. Anyone know how to fix it (if you can)?

Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
Looks nice. So you made the frame, and the framer matted it and put it all together?
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Yep! I did choose the color scheme and stuff, though, as well as asking for the general specs. The main opening isn't quite square, but it's something I can live with. I didn't do a finish on the frame, as the wood is more than durable enough to handle being handled (pardon the pun) by people if they wanted a closer look. One thing that did happen, though, is that I noticed where one of the mounting screws was put in, a crack formed and was pushing a piece of the wood on the left side up above the surface. I couldn't pry it open enough for it to stay attached and be able to have glue fit into it, and I even broke a piece of my utility knife's blade off trying to do so! I was forced to pry part of it off with a chisel and re-glue it, then sand flush before using steel wool to bring the luster back. It is definitely noticeable, but I don't see any more cracks like that first one. I can't say I'm not disappointed about the not-so-perfect repair I did, though. 
No
Near future projects:

the repair is on the back? I got over my disappointment having to do repairs on my projects making guitars.  I swear, sometimes it feels like half of the work of building one is doing repairs

Looks real nice.
How was the page mounted to the mounting board?  What substrate was that mounting board?  Was the mat board archival?

It looks nice.  

I would have used a smaller brass plaque and mounted it on the frame itself with escutcheon pins, for two reasons:

1.  The molding you produced lends itself for a name plate (most do not)
2.  It simplifies the framing job.  

Looks nice, but if you don't use conservation framing methods the page will quickly deteriorate.  Don't display where it will be exposed to direct sunlight or fluorescent light.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Even without it being the 500 year anniversary, it's a very nice item....

Andy

-- mos maiorum
(05-30-2017, 08:17 AM)Cooler Wrote: How was the page mounted to the mounting board?  What substrate was that mounting board?  Was the mat board archival?

Looks nice, but if you don't use conservation framing methods the page will quickly deteriorate.  Don't display where it will be exposed to direct sunlight or fluorescent light.

All of the material is acid free, so that won't be a problem. Also, the glass is UV protective, but I definitely will not let it be exposed to harmful light for any significant period of time.
-------------------
"Even without it being the 500 year anniversary, it's a very nice item....

Andy"

Yes the page isn't quite 500 years old yet, although, on October 31st of this year it will be the 500th anniversary of Martin Luther nailing his "95 Theses" to a church door in Wittenburg. Many consider this event to be the spark of the Reformation.
-------------------
"the repair is on the back? I got over my disappointment having to do repairs on my projects making guitars.  I swear, sometimes it feels like half of the work of building one is doing repairs"

It's actually on the corner of the side and back on the left side. I guess I just need to keep the big picture in mind rather than getting hyper-focused on small mistakes.
Near future projects:

All mat board is "acid free".  Some achieve that by adding Tums to the paper pulp (sodium bicarbonate actually).  While those types are "acid neutral" they don't necessarily remain so.  

The best is mat board made from "rags" and are listed as 100% cotton.  With the rags they simply wash them until all the acidity is washed away, not neutralized.

The word is that those boards remain acid neutral for the life of the product.

The traditional method of mounting is to use rice paper "hinges" and rice paste.  The Japanese have used this method for thousands of years and it is proven archival.  The rice paper is very weak so if the frame falls to the ground by accident the rice paper will rip and not the art work.

And we had to remember to use distilled water to make up the rice starch paste so as to keep that acid neutral.

Using hinges is very easy to do and takes about two minutes to learn by video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuxIFbcmIkE

You can get custom cut mats online and specify the quality of the mat board  (never buy mat board from Michael's; it is all no-name stuff from China. )

This is a good source of information on mat boards:  https://www.framedestination.com/matboard-selection

Crescent and Bainbridge are two quality domestic manufacturers; both offer rag boards and they cost about 50% more than cellulose boards.  For valuable work it is worth the extra money.  For small pieces like the bible pages it will not amount to much.  I have not bought these for a while but I used to pay $3.00 per board for cellulose and $5.00 per board for rag.  It is probably about $8.00 per board for rag nowadays (ordering wholesale).

But you will be ordering cut mats on line and it will only add a couple of dollars per frame to do so in rag.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Wow nice frame
Very nicely done and thought out, Thanks for posting as I sure do like seeing historical items presented so well as this,
What the Heck, Give it a Try