Roughing up wood surface
We are in the process of having a 36 x 36 workshop built in the form of a monitor barn using Ponderosa Pine as the siding. I love the rough side of the lumber and that is what we are using for the exposed side. Our builder had the doors built for it, but unfortunately they used the smooth side of the lumber on the exposed side. I want to give these doors a similar rough texture on the exposed wood. I purchased a rough grit sand paper for my orbit sander, but am not sure that is the right way to achieve that rough texture. I've read a lot of forums about using saw blades with bent teeth to achieve this look, but we do not have any blades like these to do this since we are novice to woodworking, and I have read nothing about using rough sandpaper. I need suggestions on how to achieve this look.
Try a rotary wire brush.  Lots of folks use it to cut deep, you want it superficial.  Coarse brush, lightly applied.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Sand blast it. The sand eats away the soft early wood fast and leaves the harder late wood for a nice weathered look.
A pressure washer might work, too.  Always seems to when you don't want that to happen. 

John