Sofa Table
After some research, I chose General Finishes water-based poly for the maple. This has top reviews in FWW magazine, and from many users. It has a good reputation for retarding the yellowing process.

I wrote this up here:  http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/K...build.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(05-31-2017, 12:17 PM)hbmcc Wrote: One thing that has bothered me since I started sketching sofa tables is the boat shape, opposed to alternate straight line, of the top. Do opposing arcs work when a table is placed next to an overstuffed frame? I keep turning away from a curved surface edge against our more boxy furniture. Mission square will fit better.

But curves look good. And, feel better.

Just ruminating Derek. 
Wink

Hi Bruce

That intuition is not matched in practice. The sofa table that will be replaced has a semi boat shape. It fits well against the sofa. The curves are gentle, and the straight sofa highlights this in a complementary manner.

Why curves in the first place? Straight is so clinical and hard. A gental curve is warm and sensual. So much more interesting.

I wonder what others think?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Was the case when quotes were impossible, then difficult. Now, I can't get rid of them! So, weird scenes ....
[The quote is gone, finally. I hope.]

I can't let this thread wither, even to incite another tussle with Derek--no offense. Slabs of strange metal and hobgoblin announcements are not woodworking. This thread is, and I want reminders of the progress, at least. Even if sofa tables are dumb clutter, do-dad detail for a dull background; worse, a means for ridding our lives of excess--fling an arm over the back, fall into the seat and slide 6 inches--decorations. Oops. Derek must be experienced; his look metal.

Ready?

Sensuous curves vs. rigid straight lines and sharp corners-- Curves, the turn of leg with ballerina taper (ebony socks?), pouty lips, upturned nose, and not-so-shy tutu apron. We are drawn to the Disney-like characters of fumbling brutes and anemic damsels in impossible relationships. 

My own chosen table has one face curve, barely there and broken by a small section of frothy live-edge curly maple. The real curve happens at the breadboard ends--not required--where bubbling, boiling currents of grain transition into tiger stripe waterfalls. If successful, this painfully rendered scene will be hidden by cheap, if not antique, doilies and a maintenance nightmare of decorations. It will be fun to build the project.

I don't see a racing sloop behind Derek's couch. I see a modern container ship. Can your boat live in a too-wide hallway?

[BTW, I found another stupid gateleg project. In FWW. They even showed-off the problem, with chairs.]
Derek, I agree that curves are more sensuous, I like Sam Maloof's work for this reason. I guess I agree with Bruce: a sofa table has a flat edge against the sofa otherwise it is a generic table parked behind the sofa. Both are OK. That was a very small nit, further, deponent saith not.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Here's a sofa table of walnut with maple. Built many moons ago as a trial project. The legs are tapered past the halfway mark in an effort to add 
styling". It stood behind our sofa until moved alongside the wall. It's obviously good for hiding random chords and such. If it were sculpted oval/boat/other, it would not be able to serve its current purpose.

Attached Files Image(s)

Just because shooting fish in a barrel is easy, that doesn't mean there are some fish that should remain unshot.
www.WestHillsWood.com
www.HOPublishing.com
FACEBOOK: #WoodShopWednesday
Harold, your table is nice. Thanks for including it. With the narrow plan do the legs interfere with stability? They can't be more than 8 - 9 inches apart.

What to do with all of the wires??? When #1 son, electronics guru, dragged in his TV to hang over the fireplace, I hoped he would slip and drop the thing. Nothing beneficial happens, however, so now we have a pile of cabling as thick as my wrist. Kris wanted me to use some of that stuff that hides wires inside a tube. It would look like some creature from a Stephen King novel.
The narrow leg spacing was thought of during the build. What I decided was that the table can stand on its own yet is meant to stand next to something, such a sofa. So there should always be be some added external support. This was made a few years back using what materials there were on hand. I got better.

The white chords are for a heating pad that resides at that end of the sofa. My daughter (ok, me too) uses it from time to time. It's usually put away, I just ran down and snapped these shots to push the thread along. Now I have to tidy up as well. The light string runs over our mantel.

Here's a later table with slightly wider stance, beaded legs, and tapered top edge.

Attached Files Image(s)

Just because shooting fish in a barrel is easy, that doesn't mean there are some fish that should remain unshot.
www.WestHillsWood.com
www.HOPublishing.com
Quote:sofa table has a flat edge against the sofa otherwise it is a generic table parked behind the sofa. 

Hi Curt and Harold

In the end, we shall see with our eyes and decide if this is so
Smile  I trust that my ability to visualise the end result is reliable  
Rolleyes

Regardless of whether a "sofa table" is designed with a straight or bowed edge plan, in my mind what dictates whether it is a sofa table or an end table is its length and relative slimness. This enables it to be positioned behind a couch/sofa without dominating in respect to size. Harold has found another position for his, however I cannot tell how long his table is (it looks much shorter than mine, which is 1250mm/49" long and 350mm/14" wide). I would not wish to place my table anywhere else. It is too narrow for a hall or as a sideboard, and it is too long to be an end table. 

Harold, you ask what would I do if I chose to move my table from behind the sofa? Why, just build another
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek
The first table I showed is 40 inches while the second is 32 inches long. Both were made to stand behind the sofa yet have also found other places/uses in the house.
www.WestHillsWood.com
www.HOPublishing.com
(06-04-2017, 08:31 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: SNIP>
Harold, you ask what would I do if I chose to move my table from behind the sofa? Why, just build another
Smile

I think your term was "out", regarding this rendition. I consign my failures to the next campfire, or recycle.