Need advice in building this table
Brick 
It's been a while since I've posted anything or even been on Woodnet, so its good to be back.

I promised to build a table for my daughter when they moved from their tiny apartment to a house that actually had a dining room.  She sent me this picture of what she's like me to build.
[Image: Dining%20Table_zpsdjccnaxj.jpg][/img]

She'd like the table to be able to expand a leaf or two for additional seating.  My question is, should I make the legs expandable as well or can I just make it so the top expands?  If the legs expand I would guess the table will be more stable.  If so, should I build a center leg for additional support?  I've search the internet for plans but haven't been able to find any.  Have any of you built such an animal and would you share your plan?
Gary

Living under the radar, heading for "off the grid."

Your daughter has very good taste - and a father who is very ambitious!  I'm writing not because I've made this table, but because of the research approach you're using.  While the internet is a useful source of information (sometimes), the data available there is often spotty and incomplete; it also varies in quality a good deal.  The same is true for many articles in magazines.  When I began making furniture, I got some good advice, and it's this that I'll pass along.  Whatever you decide to do, I wish you well!  My advice is to get hold of a small number of very high quality books written by seasoned professionals.  Two come to mind:  Ernest Joyce, Encyclopedia of Furniture-making, and Glen Huey, Fine Furniture for a Lifetime.  If you take the time to learn from these writers, you'll be able to approach virtually any task systematically and intelligently.  Good luck!
I've been thinking about your table for awhile and I think the best thing would be to have the legs extend with the top because as it is, the footprint is pretty small compared to the top. The trick is to sort out how to expand the base and keep it looking good.

Does your daughter want it to expand into an oval or would a larger circle work?

How ambitious are you feeling?
Thanks for the input.  I checked out a few books at Rockler and Woodcraft and they were all pretty basic.  I'll head to the library to look for those books that were suggested.  As far as the table goes I'm thinking oval would be easier and yes, the legs expanding would be preferred.

My grandparents had a similar table and my father inherited it and now my brother has it.  It's big and bulky, with the center column extending from just under the table apron to just above the floor.  It split in the middle and two legs were incorporated into each half-circle.  There was also a leg that stayed in the center of the table to help support the middle when it was expanded.  The table had 4 leaves and could sit 12 people.  I don't think I'll be building that many leaves.

I want to build the top out of Curly Cherry but am having trouble finding it here in Mpls.  But I'm determined to find it.  Once I find the wood and start the process I'll try to remember to post pics of the building process.  I'm not to good at posting pictures of the process, I usually don't remember until I'm finished.
Gary

Living under the radar, heading for "off the grid."

My folks had a table with a base of a similar size.  It had a 2' wide leaf and two accessory legs.  When the leaf was added a leg was screwed under each end to support it.  A setup sort of like this-

http://pad3.whstatic.com/images/thumb/7/...2.jpg.webp

Seemed like a fairly mickey mouse solution and some what of a pain to set up, but the legs added the needed support to stabilize the table when extended.  it was an okay solution for occasional use, but not very elegant.

Phil
I was wondering about splitting two opposing legs so you would effectively have six. Have you got thoughts about how you would attach the legs to the top?

Curly cherry will be beautiful on this table. Is Root River Hardwoods too far to go to get it? Might be worth a call.

-DaveR1
Looks tippy.
Wood is good. 
My SIL has an antique round mahogany pedestal table that splits down the middle of the pedestal cylinder. However, it has a 8" wide apron and the supports for the leaves are pretty massive. It expands from 60" to 120" in 12" sections. How big are you thinking of making this table? You might be able to make it 48" round and expand up to 72" with a 24" or larger section and use a heavy gauge steel expansion system and not alter the design to require aprons. Splitting the middle of the central cylinder makes the most sense  to me and let the expansion rails provide the needed support without needing an apron. Something like this set.
"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."
I own a factory built round table with pedestal base and two optional leaves. You cannot lean on the table at any point without spilling soup. Each half round includes a leg which hinges up. The extension mechanism is complex. I will add photos soon, but I will tell you now it is not a design I would want to make. I am not a fan of single pedestal tables that are anything but round.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Curly Cherry in MSP

I see the Minneapolis craigslist has a posting for curly cherry that is about 2 months old. Might be worth a call.