I am putting together a Safety sheet for turning
instead of me telling it every time and then I forget things to.  So some help would be great since I forget so much.

Here are just a few to start off with and I would like to go from before turning to turning off the lathe at night.
Also some things I go over board on since I think me and the other vets do not need to get hurt anymore then we are.

1. Make sure the lathe is on the slowest pulley or turned to the lowest setting on the vfd.
2. Always wear a face shield
3. Never put your hand on the spinning piece of wood unless the tool rest is moved back
4. Make sure your tools are sharp before turning
5. Put long hair up before any lathe work by anyway or means to keep it from going into the lathe.
6. Keep the area in front of the lathe clean from tripping hazards
7. Stand clear of the throw zone.
8. Keep the tool rest as close to the work as possible
9. Work above center convex, below center concave.
10. Cut downhill

I will put everything in order when I get all suggestions and post the results here to be used later for everyone and newbies.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
No long hair, sleeves rolled up and/or out of the way.
Keep the area in front of the lathe clean - no slipping or tripping hazards.
Stand clear of the throw zone.
Keep the toolrest as close to the work as possible.  
Work above center convex, below center concave.
Cut downhill
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
John

I am thinking Girls or guys with long hair can either put it up or put a net on or hat so that would not matter but it is a good idea to put down about it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Make sure the headstock spindle lock is released.
Make sure the chuck is secure to the headstock.  If there is a set screw to the chuck adapter, make sure it's secure.
Make sure the lathe is set to forward speed, and not reverse.
Make sure the knockout bar is out of the headstock. (DAMHIKT)
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Rule: No baggy shirt sleeves.
 Reason - we have had demonstrators that were doing the demo in a T-shirt with baggy sleeves. We had to improvise some sleeve garters to keep the sleeves from catching on the turning spindle when she was using the off hand as a spindle steady and when she was sanding.

the convex/concave rules can be different if you are cutting versus scraping.

Are you an AAW member?

If so, download Lynne Yamaguchi's article from the June 2014 issue of American Woodturner entitled "Safety Matters: From the Eye of a Survivor." I would suggest having a couple of printout of it floating around the shop for folks to read or to hand to anyone who says that they do not need a face shield.

Years ago I downloaded an excellent set of safety rules for turning from a now-deceased woodturner (dead form old age, not accidental injury). I cannot find it at the moment. If I can find it, I will send you a copy.

The rule you posted about always starting on the slowest sheave setting is only true for bowls or for very large diameter spindles (porch columns) It is probably a bad idea when turning pens.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Shortly after I started turning I printed out SSSSS in about 40 point and tapped it to the headstock.

Speed - Appropriate to what you are going to turn.
Secruity -  Head stocked locked (mine rotates), tailstock, quill, chuck or other holding method.  Security as to holding the stock.
Safety - Facemask, safety glasses, dust mask as needed.  Hair and loose clothing.  I have the little pony tail bungies in the shop
            for when my daughter or g-daughters turn.  I also have wide rubber bands to hold loose sleeves up to mid forearm.
Surroundings - Mainly keeping shavings swept back out of the way to prevent tripping.  When second turning I always sweep
            away the wax coating even if the shavings are not deep...that stuff is slick on a concrete floor. 
Sharp - Lastly starting with a sharp tool.

Lots of other good ideas already given... such as not leaving the knock out rod in the headstock and standing clear.
I would add 'check speed BEFORE turning the lathe on'. More than one instance of turning the lathe on without checking the speed first, and watching some thing go flying, but that is one I haven't done yet. My hand is on the speed knob whenever I turn the lathe on. 

From an Aussie, "Anything with sharp teeth eats meat. Woodworking tools have sharp teeth. People are made out of meat.'

Fatigue is probably one of the biggest causes of accidents because you then make mental mistakes. 

Stand out of the line of fire. I don't think it was posted here, but there was another injury during a demo. Thick walnut platter, high speed sanding, and it came apart. He had a Uvex or what ever the name is, face shield on. It took out the shield, and left a cut from eyebrows to back of the head. Lots of staples and concussion. 

robo hippy
Use the safety shield that comes with the lathe if a steady rest isn't being used. A face shield isn't enough for large masses of wood at high RPMs.

This seems to be a regularly ignored safety device as it's inconvenient, but would have saved a few turners from being killed.
Cellulose runs through my veins!