I am putting together a Safety sheet for turning
Thank you so much guys.  I will not be adding on in the web page here but I am copying and pasting it in a word doc and will put it here when done in a new post so anyone can see it in the future.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(05-31-2017, 06:42 PM)SteveS Wrote: Use the safety shield that comes with the lathe if a steady rest isn't being used. A face shield isn't enough for large masses of wood at high RPMs.

This seems to be a regularly ignored safety device as it's inconvenient, but would have saved a few turners from being killed.

Steve

I only use the Cage with my PM3520b when doing the inside of bowls.  Any other time it is in the way while working on the back side of the turning.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

When sanding outside surfaces by hand. sand from the backside.
(06-01-2017, 04:42 AM)Sawdustd Wrote: When sanding outside surfaces by hand. sand from the backside.

What are you trying to say?  Sand where it's going away, not toward you?  Makes sense. 

I'm not leaning over any spinning item to reach the back, no matter how tight my clothes are.  One reason I have a switch mounted at the tail of the lathe.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
ABC  Anchor, bevel, cut

Make a printout, laminate it with plastic, keep it near the lathe. Nobody can remember all the rules, make it easy to be safe.
Not a safety issue, but I have a note on my lathe to remind me to loosen (release) the belt when I finish.  I don't use it very often, and I think it will go bumpity, bumpity if I leave it tight for a few months.  Maybe not an issue, but I'm new to turning.
Al (doc1)
Place your hand underneath the piece and press the sandpaper into the piece from the backside.
Underneath, where the surface direction is away.  Makes perfect sense, though why anyone would hand sand any lathe work other than a spindle by hand is, for me, difficult to understand.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
AAA:
Awake
Aware
Alive
VH07V  
These are good guys.  How about mounting wood or using tools or more on sanding.  I know for me I sand in reverse with my hand on top of the turning and the dust goes right into the DC