Projects & a new tool cabinet insert for Roubo
My Roubo build took around 8 months, and that was after the material was gathered, and I needed a break after it was together enough to use.

So I turned my attention to shop appliances, shooting boards, including a long grain version, saw benches...that kind of stuff. Kept thinking that there sure was a lot of unused spaced under my bench...the long grain shooting board turned out to be one of my most used jigs, and I never thought I needed one...

Put a shelf under the bench but that just made me wish for something better.

So started looking/searching examples of workbenches with cabinets, and of course the Shaker benches are the pinnacle of that type of bench...

I did not want the compilation of building a Shaker cabinet into my Roubo, so I designed a simple little component type box out of plywood. Decided to use plywood mainly for the rigidity of the box. It will end up with an overlay of long leaf pine heartwood.

Cabinet dimensions are 66" long, 19" high and 17" deep, keeping it small enough to slide between the bench legs and still have space on top and bottom for storage and cleaning.

3 banks of drawers, 6 drawers per bank, 2 banks with half blind, and one (center) with through dovetails. Different spacing and ratios on each, all done as dovetail practice.

Will post pictures of the different build processes....

Here are some pictures of the bench and the support items I've built since the bench build, not everything but they do cover the spectrum of items I'll be using to build the Roubo storage drawers and the last photo is a shot of the Dado's for the plywood portion of the cabinet:

More to come...

Attached Files Image(s)

-- mos maiorum
Few more pics of the process..

Dado work

Drawer stock sizing 

Drawer bottom grooves 

-- mos maiorum
Maybe I'm not totally understanding the box and how it will impact use of the hold downs. Wouldn't there be some interference with these two devices?
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
Good observation....Had to leave space for the hold downs, and the box is set back far enough that it does not interfere with the sliding deadman, much like a Shaker bench.

Andy

-- mos maiorum
Cutting dovetails, many, many dovetails, all 4 corners on 18 drawers...

You may notice that I use the Rob Cosman method of cutting dovetails, the tools in the picture give it away if you understand his process. When one is proficient at his method there is no fitting/paring you know if they are going to fit just by checking your saw...

The long leaf pine heartwood I'm using for the drawer fronts is well over 100 years old and is hard and brittle, would much rather cut dovetails in hard maple or white oak....

Attached Files Image(s)

-- mos maiorum
Did you buy your shooting board or make it?

I am interested in the source for the track for the LN-51
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
(05-31-2017, 02:20 PM)Martin S. Wrote: I am interested in the source for the track for the LN-51

That looks like the Veritas Shooting Board track.
Dang! You have very nice tools! Can't get over that flooring, though. I'm guessing you didn't pick that pattern out yourself?
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
The shooting board is around my 4th updated version, and the track is from Lee Valley.

The floor was done like most things on a budget, used the paint on hand, ;-) wish I had used white instead of red but did not have enough....

Some tools I've had since the 90's, but most of the newest ones came by asking for Lie Nielsen gift cards for all the major events, plus that reminds me, I have a birthday coming up!

A few more progress pictures and then the finished product....

Andy

-- mos maiorum
Drawer bottoms and drawer grooves, yes plywood bottoms, it is a shop cabinet and I had it on hand.

Admiral might notice the panel saw?  One of his and so sharp I hardly had to pull it through the wood, and it fell back on it on ;-)   Rich does a fantastic job sharpening!

Ship lap panels made with a moving fillister from some long leaf pine, to cover that ugly plywood--I did resaw on the bandsaw :-0

Dowels, and more dowels, Jim will know that machine, over 50 feet of them, they are going to be the drawer pulls...

Finished project up next....

-- mos maiorum