Cleaning up a #605
I gave away my worst rustbucket in the swap 'n' sell.  I did buy a rusty 45 in there though.  It came out ok for a user.  Maybe I should use some evaporust on it and clean it up the rest of the way.

I was always shocked the way the farmers in my family kept their tools.  There are probably still some rusting on the ground now that everyone moved to town.  The 45 kinda reminded me of that. I'm a little envious of people who had relatives that made their living with tools and inherited them.
I don't seem to mind cleaning up rust buckets.  I get a lot of satisfaction resurrecting (spelling?) an oldie but goodie.  I'm not into patina, others may not agree, but it seems like rust just ain't supposed to be there.  Once it gets into operable condition, it goes off to sell at my daughter's auction house in FL generally really cheap.  I know that my labor costs are never recouped, but the tool is generally ready to get back to work for the new owner.  My wife says since I am retired, my labor is free, I don't necessarily agree.  My pay is the joy I get from the miserable process.  Guess that gives some insight to my signature line.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
Well, all good projects come to an end and this one is no exception. The previous owner put some sort of lacquer or varnish on the tote and that took a while to remove. Then it got a few coats of shellac like the originals. I sharpened the (laminated) blade and pulled a few shavings.

[Image: DSCN3280.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3282.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3283.jpg]

Ready to go back to work.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com