new/old entry bench
My nephew and his lovely bride just moved into their new house. The first family gathering revealed a need for many new things so I made them an entry bench for putting on and taking off shoes.

As they are near the beach, I went with the muted blue paint and some old looking wood. The old wood is actually cutoffs from an earlier project made to look old with a powder product found at Rockler. I'll post the name when I get back to a computer. It's a powder mixed with water and turns wood grey.

So I bought a glued up pine panel from Lowes and used that for dimensions. Some ship lap joints cut on the dado saw, poplar framing, and some nails/glue and we're done! This is a surprise, so don't tell 'em. If they don't like it, I'll use it. It was fun making an "old" piece because I didn't do any worry about getting everything smooth (except the top), ridding the pieces of scratches, or insisting upon super-clean joinery.

It's just a bench, 21H x 18 x 36.

Attached Files Image(s)

Just because shooting fish in a barrel is easy, that doesn't mean there are some fish that should remain unshot.
www.WestHillsWood.com
www.HOPublishing.com
FACEBOOK: #WoodShopWednesday
Looks good from here.  
Yes

Cool
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
That looks terrific!
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
A while back we talked about projects that because of our tools and knowledge are quick and easy but that most people simply would not attempt. This is a great example of a functional item that is perfect for the situation yet easy to bang out. 

= home run.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
(06-02-2017, 07:48 AM)TomFromStLouis Wrote: A while back we talked about projects that because of our tools and knowledge are quick and easy but that most people simply would not attempt. This is a great example of a functional item that is perfect for the situation yet easy to bang out. 

= home run.

Thanks. This took all of one day to make plus one for the paint to dry. The poplar frames are mitered rectangles let into the legs with mortices. I considered dowels, screws, and a load of other options but went this way because I did. The middle image above shows where one of the lower frame corners is let into the leg. This way both frames could be made the same size.
Just because shooting fish in a barrel is easy, that doesn't mean there are some fish that should remain unshot.
www.WestHillsWood.com
www.HOPublishing.com
FACEBOOK: #WoodShopWednesday
(06-02-2017, 08:53 AM)Harold O. Wrote: Thanks. This took all of one day to make plus one for the paint to dry. The poplar frames are mitered rectangles let into the legs with mortices. I considered dowels, screws, and a load of other options but went this way because I did. The middle image above shows where one of the lower frame corners is let into the leg. This way both frames could be made the same size.

I really like the combination of the materials (painted and natural), it is very appealing to my eye.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24