I Need A Waterproof Electrical Box
big enough to put a car battery in, but I don't know what I'm looking for online. All the waterproof boxes I'm finding are too small, like 6"x6"xwhatever. I found 1 or 2 that are wide/long enough but not deep enough.
All the lead acid battery boxes I've seen were not water proof, just to allow venting of whatever hydrogen (?) gas discharges. I don't think I'd seal one in, just use a boat battery box.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
hmm... I will have leads from a solar charger and leads to a small water pump connected. Will the battery box keep the connections dry enough, or do I need additional cover? I can make all the connections enter from the bottom of the box, or at least the near the bottom at the side, assuming there's room.
A standard marine battery box has troughs in the lid for cables to exit, and is drip-proof at minimum. And don't forget that a battery in a vehicle lives in a pretty wet area when driving in the rain, especially at speed. And they're exposed to all that, whereas in a box with a lid, it shouldn't see any moisture other than from condensation with temperature changes.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(06-02-2017, 11:34 AM)TDKPE Wrote: A standard marine battery box has troughs in the lid for cables to exit, and is drip-proof at minimum.  And don't forget that a battery in a vehicle lives in a pretty wet area when driving in the rain, especially at speed.  And they're exposed to all that, whereas in a box with a lid, it shouldn't see any moisture other than from condensation with temperature changes.

+1

Marine battery box.  Big enough for the battery.  Lid is extra wide in some places to allow the cables to pass through the lip.  Usually has a strap to keep the lid on.  No doubt your best bet.
thanks fellas. have the battery box on order. It'll be easy enough to attach a shelf to one of the fence posts. Hopefully its big enough to also house he solar controller. If not, I can get separate box for that. I gotta look at what the solar panel needs for mounting.
Go to an electrical supply house and they will set you up with whatever you need. Been done many times so they have plastic boxes.
John T.