Clifton 450 Multiplane
Veritas Large Plough looks mighty nice!  I have lots of Veritas planes and every single one of them work flawlessly.

The reason I wanted to find out about Clifton is that I remember seeing it sold new for 4 digits as well.  However, I see that recently used ones can be had at a relative bargain, around $400 or so if one is lucky to have an opportunity to stumble into a deal like that. 

I am mostly a "hybrid" woodworker, relying mostly on power tools, but greatly enjoy hand tools and would like to try my hand at accomplishing more of the tasks using hand tools.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.
Quote:The reason I wanted to find out about Clifton is that I remember seeing it sold new for 4 digits as well.  However, I see that recently used ones can be had at a relative bargain, around $400 or so if one is lucky to have an opportunity to stumble into a deal like that. 

The Clifton (and Record) is a copy of the Stanley. Are they better in quality? I have a few similar Stanley planes - #45 and #46 - and the quality is pretty good. These planes are still not as well made as the Veritas. All can do the job, nevertheless.

At around $400 the Clifton would need to be special since a Stanley can be picked up much more cheaply. Or perhaps you are fascinated by and just want a Clifton? 

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Never had a Clifton before, but judging from their price in general, which is in similar range as Veritas and Lie Nielsen, I would totally expect a Clifton plane to be of higher quality and better in fit and finish than Stanleys. Just like how Lie Nielsen planes are mostly copies of Stanleys but made with better materials and machined to a much better degree, I would expect the same from Clifton. Am I expecting too much?
Clifton's had a reputation, for their bench planes, of high quality.  I suspect, though, that the high price on the Clifton multiplane was partly due to low production volume.
Bill, that is my expectation - that the high cost of the Clifton really reflects cost of production in modern times. In other words, without many of these versions of the #45 around it seems - I don't know anyone who owns one, and no one has reviewed one as far as I am aware - it would be important to actually see it, hold it and taste it to ensure that it is truly quality and a worthy successor to Stanley.  

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Another vote for the Record 405. I also have a couple of H&R sets for it as well as the extra cutter set.
Derek, would the Veritas small plow plane cutters work in their large plow?
(06-05-2017, 05:16 PM)Souperchicken Wrote: Derek, would the Veritas small plow plane cutters work in their large plow?

Yes. They are tranferred between the Small and Large.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Thanks, I'm really glad to hear that. I have all of the cutters and I think the larger ones are hard to push with the small plane, and hope the larger handle, fence, etc will help. Is that your experience? Sorry if this is too far off topic.
(06-05-2017, 10:11 PM)Souperchicken Wrote: Thanks, I'm really glad to hear that. I have all of the cutters and I think the larger ones are hard to push with the small plane, and hope the larger handle, fence, etc will help. Is that your experience? Sorry if this is too far off topic.

I cannot answer this as I have not spent time on the larger rebate blades, which are the only large blades common to both planes. There are fluting blades which are wide, but only for the Large Plow.

Regards from Perth

Derek