Anyone ever make a fly fishing rod case?
My son wants to make a case for his fly fishing rod. I've seen some that are octagons like these

But he likes something like this

Thoughts?
It looks like simple stave construction or I should say not simple but cut at the angles and glued together and then the outside turned I am thinking.

A long time ago my Grandpa helped me make one for the bamboo 10 and 6 weight fly rods but it was a flat case.  I still have one the rods and the very old reel.  My Grandpa gave my younger brother the 6 weight and he had it a month before he broke it in so many pieces.
Mad   I know the fly rod is at least made 1910 or so.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
That would take some very deep hollowing if it had to be round all the way to the bottom. I guess it wouldn't have to be though. Stave construction is fairly easy. Just need a long enough shooting/sanding board to true the two halves to remove any cutting errors. Use hose clamps for the clamping.
Thanks guys. How do you determine the angles on stave construction?
It is the same as making segments and how many staves you want to make.  4, 6, 8, 12?  They each have their own degrees.

I am pretty sure a 6 stave is 30*, 8 stave is 22.5*, 10 stave is 18*, and 12 is 15*.

https://uniontownlabs.org/tools/stave/
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

Cool calculator link, Arlin.
Wouldn't a pvc pipe be easier?

Eek ..... I said a bad word didn't I ?  

Laugh
(06-05-2017, 11:51 AM)Souperchicken Wrote: Cool calculator link, Arlin.

I do not understand most of it but it looks like it has everything.

(06-06-2017, 02:34 PM)daddo Wrote: Wouldn't a pvc pipe be easier?

Eek ..... I said a bad word didn't I ?  

Laugh

of course it would - but then so would much of anything we do with woodworking