Maybe I Start From The Wrong End...
Arlin, I always made do with my small shop with all the stuff crammed in, no room to move around. Lol. Miss T kept telling me to have Kevin build something bigger, but I didn't want to commit. After the accident, she told me to get of the pot, and "sign here." Sigh....

Should have done it years ago....
Lol. Meh... I would STILL be rearranging the tools and "organizing"... who am I kidding. Lol.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
usually when I make something, I have the thing in mind and then go searching for wood that fits.  But I think boxes are better the other way around.  And I also have some wood like Krenov used for a desk in one of his books.  I have some pieces of wood that are looking for a project, but that usually means they are going to be lonely for a while
Sometimes, I start a box with the sides by deciding what to do with those. Now and then, I find I should have decided  on how to make the top/lid first, because once the sides are done, a sliding top seems most appropriate---and almost impossible to do at that point.

I have difficulty with hinges---type, size, etc. Tried making wood hinges. That was kinda fun and did work on one box, but usually too bulky for most of the smaller boxes.

So, I do a lot of tops/lids with handles that just set on the box.
I got away from the thread for a while as I was asked to post a thread related to the project on my Henry Forum.
I thought you guys might want to see the finished box... I think it turned out well, mistakes and all.

I finished the box with Watco Oils, Dark Walnut, for the walnut.  and a Golden Oak for the Burled Maple Insert.
I put in a removable bottom for ease of cleaning, but it's a friction fit.  There is also an insert on the underside of the top.
Both are covered in a nice Dark Wine Velvet.  I think it compliments the Walnut well.

[Image: Waxed%20and%20buffed_zpskdcn9xqo.jpg]

[Image: velvet%20lined_zpsgl7uh3zl.jpg]

In direct lighting, you can see how the Natural beeswax finish gives the box a soft sheen, without being gaudy, and accents the various grain aspects I chose to highlight.  If it softens down the road, you simply wax and buff the box again with any quality automotive or wood wax and you are back in bidness. LOL.

[Image: soft%20sheen_zpsorz76qev.jpg]

I was happy with the outcome.  I will be starting on another project in a week or so, after a short break.  Actually several.  One will be a Wooden Luggage Style Rifle Case.. just to see if I can do it. 
Wink

I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Yes
Jim in Okie
Looks good.  Nice choice of woods.  Good to see you back in the shop and enjoying yourself.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
Thanks Mike, good to be back.
The key to my successful return is a slow pace, no rush.
Lol.
Jim in Okie
(06-04-2017, 06:25 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: ...
I guess I have never had a talk with wood or "had it talk to me" I had a need and looked around to see what fit the bill I wanted and made it.  However, I am not a deep person either....

Talking with wood is really just reversing your normal process of having a need and looking for wood to fit it. Instead, find an interesting piece of wood and think about what its best use might be. This simple step opens up a whole different approach to woodworking and frees you to be more creative IMO. Try it.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure