Walnut Prices
I recently bought some good (but not great) 4/4 walnut and had to pay almost $10 /BF.

This is in the middle of Kansas. It made me wonder if I overpaid or not and what others are paying and their locations.

Anyone out there care to share the price they have to pay and location?
There is a fine line between woodworking and insanity - sometimes I am not sure which side of the line I am on.
Its ridiculous. 

I have about 600bf in my stash, so I don't need to buy but I am amazed at the spike over the past few years. 

I checked my supplier, #1 common, wholesale with a 250' break...was $3.50 ish....that means F1F (or whatever the top grade is) at retail is likely $8 I would guess. 

Around here, if a guy is willing to drive an hour or two, air dried material can be had for $2-3 a foot. Problem is I see less and less independent sawyers selling...not sure if they arent cutting walnuts, they are drying up, or if they are sitting on their piles till prices calm down.

Every now and again you see a barn deal where someone passes on, and the family needs to "get rid of" a barn for the sale of the property. Normally its a large pile but at prices at a buck or so, its worth it. 

But walnut is becoming chestnut....except there is lots of it around. Commercially it all sucks. I was told that the veneer grade logs get pulled and go directly to china by the container full. Maybe so....I think walnut blight is more of the issue.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

In central pa.

I pay $2 for log run.
$2.50-$3.00 for select with some defects.
And I've never paid over $5.

In fact I just got some 8/4 fas at $5 kiln dried and 10/4 bookmatched slabs that are still green at just below $4.00.

Walnut, oak and cherry are pretty common in my area though.
Select and better, $6.97 for 4/4.
#1 common, $4.29.

http://www.kmhardwoods.com/Redheart-thru-Ziricote.cfm
(The pricelists from which I quote)
Their "select and better' is pretty nice.

I don't actually buy much from them, though.  There is a arborist that sells walnut from his garage.  I get large (12"+ wide) quarter-sawn boards from him for similar prices to above, and the stuff is crazy-gorgeous.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
About $8-10 around here. Too rich for my blood.
-Marc

Last I got was in fall of 2016, 6/4 it is FAS, 100% clear, all Black. I paid $3.75 bd/ft. I got a stack of 137? bd/ft IIRC. Most of it was 8" + wide. I'm not a Walnut slave, and only buy it a FML's (Ohio/Indiana border at Union City) sale when I do buy, so I don't know what the rate is for by the board anymore, don't think wild horses could get me to go much over 5 bux a bd/ft though. There is all that Maple, and Cherry, and Ash, and ........
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
$10.50 for s4s around here.  Too rich for me
We got really lucky a few years ago and drove down to Tidewater and filled the back of the truck with beautiful quality lumber for about 200 bucks. Women's dad had passed and in life was a cabinet maker. She was selling off his stash to clear out space in the barns. There was more room in the truck, and she kept saying we should take more, but I was worried about the weight. We had slabs of live edge walnut, rough cut boards, cherry, oak, curly cherry, maple. Oh my...

The live edge walnut table I made for my daughter led me to this forum.
Sometimes you get lucky on Craig's list.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Black walnut seems to be $6 - 8/BF around WNY; that's for 4/4.  $10 for 8/4.  I buy Sapele for $5/BF in anything up to and including 8/4.  They are completely different woods, but when you think of where Sapele comes from and all the steps involved in getting it to my hands, it's amazing how it can be so cheap - or maybe just how walnut can be so expensive. 

So far, I've never had to buy any walnut.  I've come across 5 or 6 nice walnut trees over the past 10 years that I've milled into some very nice lumber.  I once got a backyard tree about 24" DBH and 20' clear to the first limbs.  I don't remember a single knot in it.  Still have some of that wood, another reason my basement shop is so cluttered, but that's another story.  Oh yeah, I just used some of it to build that round front corner cabinet I recently posted.  

You can go poor buying good wood.  I try to avoid it. 

John
Anyone in the metro richmond va area with a portable mill? I have some wood I have been drying I need cut.
But, we might be able to make a deal. Nearly fifteen acres, lots of down hardwoods...
Or maybe this should be a separate post...
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.