Zinnser BIN sealer under tile backsplash
Here is my dilemma ;

I am installing a tile backsplash :

The substrate is drywall ; most of the drywall was previously painted with gloss paint. The rest is brand new unpainted drywall from my wiring retro.

If it was all new drywall I would use a latex primer.
The latex primer will not stick to the drywall with the gloss paint.

So the question is? Is there any reason that I should not use a Shellac based primer on both the Virgin drywall and the gloss painted drywall?

Thanks!
When we do tile on commercial jobs, we use purple board and do not prime. The primer is no guarantee that the tile will not pull away from the previously painted surface.  That said, it is not a high humidity/wet area. I would scuff the painted area with 80 grit paper and apply the tile. I'm sure you'll get more answers.

Latex tile adhesive?  What size tile?

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
1 inch x 2 inch ceramic tile with mesh backer and OnniGrip mastic.

I could just sand./scuff the gloss painted area.
My concern is that not Sealing the new unpainted drywall and mud will allow it to wick more water out of the mastic an weaken the bond.

Maybe I should sand the gloss paint and use latex primer on only the unpainted drywall and mud?

Thanks
(06-04-2017, 09:07 AM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: Maybe I should sand the gloss paint and use latex primer on only the unpainted drywall and mud?

Thanks

That would have been my suggestion.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(06-04-2017, 09:07 AM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: 1 inch x 2 inch ceramic tile with mesh backer and OnniGrip mastic.

I could just sand./scuff the gloss painted area.
My concern is that not Sealing the new unpainted drywall and mud will allow it to wick more water out of the mastic an weaken the bond.

Maybe I should sand the gloss paint and use latex primer on only the unpainted drywall and mud?

Thanks

Sand the glossy paint. Prime it all. Mastic and then tile. I prefer the commercial mastic in the big tubs not the regular borg stuff. Its a different consistency and for me it seems to apply better and its very strong.