Old Circle Saw Blades
Like many of you, I suspect, you have a back up supply of circle saw blades. As one gets dull, you can swap in a fresh new blade. Well, I just realized my 'dull' pile got bigger than my 'fresh edge' pile.

My question is, what do you do with the dull blades? Sharpen yourself, if so, how? Send out, to either a local sharpening service, or manufacturer?

I am not a production shop, but consider myself an 'active hobbiest', so probably change blades out a coulple times a year. I dont wat to have to buy a new blade each time, though we may be at that point where its just as economical to buy new as go through the hassle of sharpening, or sending out.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

John
There are articles on the internet about this. Steel tooth blades aren't too difficult, neither are carbine tips blades if not too worn. I would prefer to have a sharpening service do carbide blades.
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
I take my blades to Dynamic Saw.  You will not find nicer people that do better work, and their prices are very reasonable.  They are local for me, but I would still send blades to them if lived to further away. 

John
Quality blades get resharpened. Around me the sharpeners are just hacks with a grinder, and you might have a usable blade when you get it back...or not. So I send mine out, Dynamic Saw and Bull Sharpening (Oak Park, IL.) are both full service shops, they do it all. I believe Scott Whiting (member here) is also a full service shop, he's in AZ (I think), For just saw blades, both Forrest and Ridge Carbide have sharpening services. But the cheaper blades I just toss.....although I did make a shop clock out of one.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(06-04-2017, 09:25 AM)jteneyck Wrote: I take my blades to Dynamic Saw.  You will not find nicer people that do better work, and their prices are very reasonable.  They are local for me, but I would still send blades to them if lived to further away. 

John
Completely agree.  I took John's advice and send them a few Festool blades.  Couldn't be happier.

Steve
Send the good quality blades to a reputable sharpener - Dynanic Saw, Scott Whiting, Forrest, and Ridge Carbide are all reputable.  Low quality blades aren't worth messing with.
Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I thought everyone just did this with the dull ones............ducks, runs..........
Big Grin

[Image: f9b853537493568212984438ffc61502.jpg]

I've been very happy locally. A guy who has a drop off service at the local WoodCraft store, nice work, low enough prices to make it a no brainer. I generally don't buy junk blades, so most anything I buy is apt to get resharpened.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I have 3 10" for my table saw that get sharpened,2 for my circular saw,also get sharpened.One on my sliding compound miter saw,12" and it gets sharpened.Have a local guy,retired professional,has all his equipment set up in his heated garage.He also does my forstner bits.Great guy and does great work and good prices.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I take mine to a retired toolmaker a few miles away, does a great job and is cheap.

I've had problems with commericial sharpening places in the past. They put the blade in a cnc grinder and hit the "go" button. One place completely re-profiled the teeth, took off 3/4 of the carbide, destroyed any blade life.

It just happened to be a 16" blade, at the time, expensive.  Almost came to blows with the guy that ground it.....was asked not to come back.
Told them it wasn't a problem.

Ed
if my old blades are carbide tooth and not worht getting resharpened, i take the carbides off and put em in a cup i have just for the occasion($5-7/lb as scrap) and the blade blank goes in the scrap pile.