Siding question
I'm replacing several courses of siding (replacing some Masonite with Hardie) on my house. I'm doing most of it myself so it's going to be slow--like weekends and after work. In other words, it won't be possible to expect dry weather for weeks on end while I work on it.

The house sheathing is OSB. I'm using heavy roofing felt as the underlayment.

If I tear off and staple the felt on, will that provide enough rain protection for the OSB or do I need to drape a plastic tarp over it? New housing seems to stay unsided through rain, etc, and seems to be fine, but that's not my house. If it has rained, how long do I need to wait before I can side again? I wouldn't want to trap moisture underneath.

Thanks
Paul
I would not staple it.  The staples will hold long enough for you to put the siding on top, which will in turn hold the felt. If it is left exposed to wind, the staples will not hold.  I would use cap nails.

It is my understanding that the siding is not what waterproofs the house, but what is underneath the siding, thus the felt paper.  Personally, I would use a more modern material, like Tyvek, or a generic version of the same.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Cecil has a point about the wind. If you staple, you will need to cover the overlap ends with lathing---that should secure the felt in a wind. Use screws to install the lath.

Moisture is really only a huge problem if it gets between the felt and the OSB. As for moisture on the felt---sometimes a couple of hours in sunlight is sufficient to dry it enough to side.
Okay. I'm sure this will lead to an argument. I my experience with hardboard sidings construction (15+ years) OSB will be fine a few days uncovered. Wraps that are stapled on will be fine as well for a few weeks unless you get prolonged wind exposure. The more nails you put through it the weaker the wrap gets. Let's not forget you will be putting nails through it too when you put the siding over it. Cap nails are stronger but they are harder to install and get the underpayment to pay flat unless you have some helpers. Last Tyvek is meant to prevent air from getting in. It's not a water barrier. It does have some water resistance but not like tar paper. A runner I used to know had a tyvek jacket it kept his body heat in but wicked the moisture out. It breathes from the inside out and doesn't let the cold air through. It really works. DuPont once told me that when a framed installs the tyvek inside out so you can't read the writing it's not doing any good. It breathes one way. So if it were me, I would only tear off and replace what I could do within a few days. What do you want a water barrier or a wind barrier? Then once you decide use minimal staples and re side. These are questions you need to ask.
Everybody blamed his old man for makin him mean as a snake. When Amos Moses was a boy his daddy would use him for alligator bait!
-Jerry Reed

Larry
You may look at the house wrap that has a built in rain screen.  I used felt on the lower part of mine to add an extra barrier. Dan