Sunday afternoon fun
I've been browsing flea markets & 2nd hand shops for the past few months, picking up some basic hand tools for my oldest grandson.  His 8th birthday is this week.  He spent the afternoon with us yesterday and I surprised him with the tools (eggbeater drill, combination square, 6' folding rule, tack hammer and a small panel saw) and told him we could root around the shop for some scrap lumber and build a tool box together.  We spent the afternoon working on it.  I did all the cutting (his hand saw needs sharpened), but he had a big hand in the measuring, layout and assembly.  He had a blast and was so proud of it.  Even though the woodworking was rudimentary, it was probably one of the best things I could have done, IYKWIM.  I hope to have lots more opportunities like this in the future.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Doesn't get much better than that!  I hope the 2 of you have many more hours in the shop together.

Smile
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
Time well spent. Very well

I've decided that "The Meaning of Life" is what we do for grandkids.
Cool
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I can assure you from my own childhood, that is a memory he'll never forget. Imagine it's a keeper for you too
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I explained to him why the tools weren't all shiny and brand new.  Kids like new stuff and he's no different.  I told him that good tools can last multiple lifetimes if they are taken care of.  I showed him a few of the tools my Dad gave me 40 years ago, that I'm still using.  I explained that used tools have a history.  Sometimes we know the history, like tools handed down from father to son, and sometimes we don't, but it's neat to imagine how others might have used these tools so many years ago.  I think he got it. 
Big Grin

Yea, it was a red letter day for me.  I have a 4 year old grandson as well, so I get to do this again in a couple years.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?