More finds and a "whatsit?"
(06-06-2017, 03:06 PM)UpstateNYdude Wrote: That's not bad at all I would have gladly paid that. Were you the gentlemen downstairs in the dark long sleeve with the glasses, if so it was a pleasure to make your acquaintance as you were the guy helping me box up the stuff I got and were quite helpful. What were the carving chisels he had? I'd never heard of Honey Craft before even though I think you told me they were Swiss made.

That was me, although the word "gentleman" is rarely used to describe me.
Laugh  Next time you see me at a sale, stop me and say "Hi". BTW- you're gonna hate seeing what I picked up today in Wilton
Smirk
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
(06-06-2017, 04:13 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Dave,

I think the "sad" may apply to the user, rather than the tool.  Imagine picking that thing up, hot from the woodstove, to iron your clothes; and then picking up another one as soon as the one under your hand cooled off.

Bill

P.S.: got curious and looked it up.  In 1738, when the first appearance of the word is recorded, "sad" meant compact and heavy.  "Iron" meant what it means today.

Thanks!! I suspect you're right about the name. That job doesn't sound like fun at all.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
You're absolutely right about the word "sad." It's undergone quite a change over the last 300 years or so.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(06-06-2017, 06:04 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: You're absolutely right about the word "sad."  It's undergone quite a change over the last 300 years or so.

My wife has one of those, that belonged to her grandmother.  We use it for a doorstop.  I've stubbed my toe on it more than once, so it's been called some other names in my house. 
Laugh
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

We rarely have to use an iron anymore as long as we remove the hot clothes and hang then directly from the sad dryer.