Should I buy this lathe?
I have been offered this lathe at a pretty decent price ($200). I'm not crazy about the fact that its belt driven, but it does look pretty cool (at least to me). The guy tells me that it not only does wood, but will also do soft metals like brass, aluminum, etc. and that his dada used it to fabricate other tools and accents for pieces. The badge tells me its a Goodell-Pratt. Anyways, here's a pic. Let me know what you think.
[Image: IMG_5081.jpg]
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
I would just because it's a cool old tool. You could change the drive. It's a spindle lathe. They all cut soft metals, it's about the cutter more than the lathe. I've only turned brass.
It's worth what you're willing to accept for it or pay for it.
Frankly, 100 dollars sounds more reasonable for the novelty and for a limited machine (For myself). It isn't set up for metal turning at all that I can see- it looks like a simple wood lathe.
I'd rather invest 200 dollars toward a more flexible machine. Not all old machines are worth a lot of money just because they are old.

If you like it and the price is good for you, go for it.
The facts that it is still set up for a flat belt and still has it's jack shaft are big pluses.  I love vintage and antique tools.  Goodell Pratt made high quality tools.
A lot depends on what you want to do with it.  If you're after a bowl lathe keep looking.  If you love old tools and have the room for it, it's worth considering.
With a lot of antique lathes you're up against things like obsolete threads and tapers on the head and tail stocks.  Nothing that can't be worked around, just something to be aware of.
Rodney
Where would you use it? As daddo says, just because it's old, doesn't mean it has value.

But if you were a flea market kind of guy, you could set it up and turn out small (freebie) tops and such to gain attention for your table full of nicer bowls you turned in the shop. The novelty aspect could generate more sales.
Just because shooting fish in a barrel is easy, that doesn't mean there are some fish that should remain unshot.
www.WestHillsWood.com
www.HOPublishing.com
FACEBOOK: #WoodShopWednesday
There are ways to turn your own pulleys to fit it to v belt style from hard wood. And still keep it as it is.
I once saw an old lathe used as a book stand, headstock and tailstock were the bookends.  It was cool
Cool
(06-07-2017, 07:56 AM)LOIBLB Wrote: There are ways to turn your own pulleys to fit it to v belt style from hard wood. And still keep it as it is.

With the limited swing, I think the use as a demo is best.  For that, flywheel, Pittman and pedal, since most venues won't allow generators.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I agree with Daddo. If you want to actually turn, save your money.  If you want to play around with a very old piece of machinery because of the "cool" effect, go for it. Old is not always better. I think this is especially true for wood lathes.
Mike

"Start off slow and taper off."
Not unless you're going to use it.