Wood ID question -- could this be a Chestnut piece? (pix added)
I think it's probably cherry. We have a very old turned "cannonball" cherry bed that looks almost identical to your photo. It was finished with dark shellac. Here are two photos of a sharpening stone box I made recently from a quarter sawn cherry log that was in my firewood bin. The grain structure is similar to your example:

[Image: IMG_1847_zps0kzbxwn5.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1853_zps56tdd7cc.jpg]
It's cherry.
After looking more closely at the pictures, and looking at some QS cherry I have (also finished with straight BLO), I'm changing my vote to cherry.  The non-QS grain matches, and you do get those rays with cherry.  The color also matches what I've seen of naturally aged cherry.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
It looks like Sycamore with the quarter sawn part and it also looks like some Mahoney and Cherry also.  I am just wondering if it is both woods.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I'll say it again. I am 100% sure it is cherry. If you look at enough antique cherry pieces you learn what to look for. Both the grain and ray and fleck of the QS material are very distinctive.