Our Own Zach's Book
Recently I bought a copy of Zach Dillinger's new book "With Saw Plane and Chisel".  I'm almost to the end and it's a keeper, I highly recommend it! If you read his article in PWW on the stool build, that is one of the projects.  There's a secretary desk, a bookcase, and several others.

There is a great description of what a particular period consisted of and why.  And then Zach showed a project build from each period of the 1700's from beginning to end.  Very detailed descriptions of the project builds too.  And for those who make joints with machines, a tutorial of how to make M&T's and dovetails by hand....

Haven't seen Zach in here lately, must be finishing a project up....
Skip

Thanks for the review and heads-up!

Chris
Chris
The only previews I can see online don't tell me if plans or measured drawings of the projects are included. Can you tell me?
Photo 
Yep, there are. Attached here...if I did it correctly...are shots of the drawings and cutlist for the Jacobean Chest of Drawers, as an example.[Image: JCD1.jpg]

[Image: JCD2.jpg]
Thank you. I couldn't imagine such a book without them, but couldn't find an example.
Thanks Megan; I planned to do that when I got back, have been away a few days. There is also a section on period hardware written by Nancy Cogger, and a historical perspective on period furniture styles written by Robert F. Trent that really tie it all together. The foreword by Roy Underhill is quite elegantly stated, nothing like his TV persona at all.  I find it interesting that Roy likes Zach's work and he really likes his book.
Skip

Also, there is a very detailed section on upholstering Zach's chair by Michael Mascelli that leaves nothing to the imagination.  Plenty of pics to show what he is doing... and then he did a follow-up article on the stool project of upholstering a simple slip seat. I have never been able to make any fabric do anything it's supposed to, and leave all that to my wife; so it is fascinating to me for him to break it down where I can understand what he is doing.
Skip

Have it in the Kindle edition,and its a great book,.

I do have a complaint of sorts--wish I had purchased it in hardback!

Andy

-- mos maiorum
Congratulations, Zach! Can't wait to read it.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(06-14-2017, 09:49 PM)Adnick Wrote: Have it in the Kindle edition,and its a great book,.

I do have a complaint of sorts--wish I had purchased it in hardback!

Andy

Hi Andy;

I do too, but it only comes as a softback..... maybe the next one... I could always make a slip cover for it out of a brown paper sack to protect it over the years.  I think Zach would approve...

And, exactly why I don't do kindle...
Skip