Exterior walnut and clear paint
Thumbs Up 
I know, heresy, but I had a challenge. A very nice, persistent elderly lady asked me to make a walnut cross(her husband's favorite wood) to be installed in a memorial on the corner of their church grounds. It is also the church where the Mayor/CEO of Kansas City, Kansas is the head pastor. And on the northeast corner of a fairly well traveled street.

Got the wood donated(KC Woodbutcher) and set out to built an 8' Tall cross. Bolted a 3" channel iron to the bottom 4' of the cross and cemented the remaining 4' of the channel in concrete.

I applied two coats of Sherwin Williams A-100 ultra deep tint base(the clear paint part) and installed it in March of 2015.
 Pics of the paint in my garage:[Image: 2014-10-18111724-Copy_zps52961134.jpg]

And when paint was dry(2 coats):[Image: 2014-10-18150154-2_zps2aded02b.jpg]

A year later:
[Image: HPIM2179_zpspakeq2cv.jpg]

Today, before sanding/recoating(2 years):[Image: DSCN0176_zpsiav0njjf.jpg]

The blue is more from the camera than the actual look. Those blue streaks were actually white. Camera battery died trying to get After pics, but the new paint returned most of the original color. The cross faces south and has full sun year round. There is a couple of places where color damage is present on the top level of the right side of the cross piece.

All in all, I am pretty happy with the results so far. The folks at the church were skeptical, but the secretary said folks really like it. And so does the Mayor.
Big Grin
Thanks for that update, Mac....much appreciated.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.