Mini Circular Saws
What are these saws good for?  Why are they making a splash in the tool pool right now?  I'm not against them, just ignorantly asking.

Smaller I see, therefore lighter.  Probably easier to handle & control, and therefore perhaps more accurate.  

I'm sure they'd be just fine for sheet goods and 1x stock.  Nothing thicker.

Anybody have any experience with them?  Saw them at a display while waiting at the BORG yesterday and thought I would ask.  

[Image: Rockwell-RK3441K-Compact-Circular-Saw.jpg]
When my dad had his remodeling business he used it a lot more than he thought, especially on roofing jobs needing a quick trim here or there. Saved a lot of time compared to taking the piece down to the saw then back up.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
I see the convenience factor for guys in the trades doing "rough" work.  Hobbyists, well, don't see the benefit, nor for anything that calls for finesse, maybe cutoff.  But for the last few years, since I learned how to sharpen handsaws, I don't burn electrons to cut stock to rough length and instead reach for the handsaw.  The impulse hardened tooth handsaws you find at the Borg are good for cutoffs as well, you just can't sharpen them.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Interesting Steve, never thought of that, but wouldn't a battery powered circular saw do that just as well and be a lot more versatile overall?  I just don't see the need for one of these little things.  Then again, others may point out a lot of uses for one.

John
I keep thinking about one for remodeling work because its very handy size. Most of what you are cutting you dont need full depth of a regular circular saw nor the power. It can also get into tight spots that a regular saw cant as well.
I assumed the saw he was talking about was the battery powered saw. I'm not familiar with any other type of small circular saw.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Some years back I bought a new PC 314 saw and thought it would be handy as a jobsite saw for trim and such. Turned out I hardly ever used it after about 6-8 years so I sold it.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I've got the PC 314....it's a handy tool, great for breaking down 1/4" sheet goods. I really like it for cutting angles on vinyl siding.

Not an everyday user, but it's not going anywhere.

Ed
I've got one, think it's a different brand than what is shown, but I haven't used it in a while so I can't visualize it. I don't look at it as a woodworking tool, but they will cut anything, and sometimes shoving a sawzall into a small space doesn't work so well. The blades, at least on mine are made for destruction, not finish cuts, but they cut tile, pipe, wood, shingle, and auto body. The most positive thing I can say about it, and I think this is the actual sales point. Doesn't matter what you are cutting up, I've never even felt a hint of a kickback. You can cut while wiggling it, plunging in and out, and a lot of stuff that you would lose an arm with a circular saw, and it just cuts.

Did I mention it is not a woodworking tool, but if you can get one under 75 bux, every homeowner will need it a number of times over a lifetime, so it will be a deal at 75. More you have to start thinking about it.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Battery powered saws blow. I primarily use the 5-1/2" Skilsaw. Way handier than the worm-drive saws.
Wood is good.