Thoughts on Festool MFT/3 Table
I have a host of green tools:  TS-75 track saw, ETS-150/5 ROS, Dust Collector, and a Domino.  I don't own the Festool MFT/3 table.  Now I'm wondering if it's worth the substantial investment to get one.  I recently used the Domino, TS-75, and ROS on a project, but had to rig a work surface to use them.  It was functional, but since it's a real pain for me to kneel on the floor (knees), I kept wondering if the MFT would be any better than a simple workbench.  I realize that breaking down sheet goods is probably better done initially on the shop floor, but for smaller projects, does the MFT/3 really provide that much more utility?

I'm anxious to hear opinions from those of you who have the MFT.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I recently picked up a mft1040, the original.  It's fantastic.  I used my traditional woodworking bench for domino stuff and trying to sand stuff... but the workholding was lacking.

The MFT solves all of those.  It would have been hard for me to stomach the full purchase price, I got mine in a package deal.  But it is a game changer for using the festools IMO.  I thought I might sell the MFT, as it wasn't really on my radar, but after using it, there is no way.
buy or have a top milled build around it to your needs 

The stand itself is expendable
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Allan I have made a number of worktables based on the Festool table using 80/20 rails a MDF bed which I hole out with the swiss cheeser. Mine is based on a 3/4" hole, and I use a mix of router table, and LV workbench jigs, and fixtures, all of which are 1/4 20.

The thing about Festool is they DO NOT want you to build your own, so they size all their trinkets to weird sizes, I don't know what they use, but I imagine the track isn't based on 1/4" 20 the standard in the US for this type of thing. If you know the hole size someone makes that size drill bit, both twist, and Forstner. What is left is sourcing the track, again I don't do green, so I've no idea what it needs, but it's out there, because a lot of people make stuff to go with successful tooling.

Swiss Cheeser couldn't be easier. Lay it out once on a 2x12 at the drill press, put a skirt stop on it, and a drilling you go. The 1 1/2" depth of the 2x keeps you going in straight without a lot of thought. Get a pin or 2 the same size as the hole, overlap a row, pin it in place, and keep drilling until you have covered your top, or as many holes as you need. I have gone from metal bases I bought, to 2x4 monsters, and now I use a much lighter 1x4 base with legs of 2 pieces set at a 90, and braced 1/2 way up, and on that I add a lower deck for storing what I use on top. A crossed brace at the bottom of the leg can support an elevator bolt, or caster depending on if you want it mobile or not.

I've built 8 of them, but they go as soon as somebody sees them. I like that, because it's a work in progress.

[Image: Swisscheesertop.jpg]

Buy it. or build it. Either way you will wish you had one for a long time once you use it that first time.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I got mine on Craigslist for a screaming deal I couldn't pass up. Prior to that I thought anybody that had one was clearly a moron...then after I got mine...I love mine. It's one of those tools you just keep finding more uses for. It is awesome for the domino. If you can stomach the price I don't think you'll regret it.
-Marc