MiterSet Segments
I have the MiterSet Segments.  I have used it several times to "square" my three different miter gauges and have made many, many square cuts that were spot on.

I bought it to begin segmented turning...here is the problem: I set the miter gauge for 8 segments and cut 8 pieces.  In the clamp there is a gap of 3/16" on the outside edge of the ring on a diameter of 5 & 1/4".  I checked the saw and the blade was at 89.9 degrees.  Corrected to dead on 90 degrees, reset the miter gauge to 8 segments and cut 8 pieces.  This time the gap was greater than a 1/4" on a diameter of 4 & 3/4".
I then cut segments for a 10 segment ring and a 12 segment ring.  The 10 piece ring came very close to being correct, not so with the 12 piece.

I sent the company an email earlier today but do not expect to hear back before Monday.  Hoping someone here might have an idea as to what I am doing wrong.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I would suggest you look at the segeasy.com youtube and make the sled the Jerry is showing.  With that you make 8 or 12 segment rings using either a 45 carpenter square, or for 12 a 30 60 triangle.
Bob
Plently of plans on the web for sleds. I still get a small gap when I glue up the half rings. I need to do a little more tweaking to get it right.
Don
I had never heard of Miterset Segments, so Googled them Off hand my question is how tight do the pins fit the holes? If they aren't really snug and you are looking at the close end of the angle, the wide end of the same angle could be out several degrees. The further away you go from that type of jig, the greater your possibility of error grows, if there is any slop at all.

If I need to determine an actual angle I use one of these. I have both short and longer length, and use appropriate to the situation. Anyhow I'm seldom off with them, just a thought.

[Image: 30n0310s1.jpg]
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
How are you holding your segments when you cut?  It may be that they are slipping as you cut them, and that slight error is accumulating when you assemble them for clamping.  Whenever you cut a miter or angle , there's a tendency for the wood to slip as the cut progresses.  If you're using stop block, the slippage occurs on the first cut, not on the second.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Bill

Like was said.  Please go to Youtube and look up Jerry Bennett and watch his videos and go to his web site.  We have sent several emails back and forth and he is a great guy and he has helped me very much, he even sent me 4 of the segeasy templates and SceneryMaker put mine together that I sent him because I did not understand how to do the routering thing.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
UPDATE:  The TS was "off"; got the alignment to .0005, then cut and glued the seven segment rings...Perfection!  So I designed a segmented lid...disaster.  The saw is still aligned, the stop block did not move.  Some how it must be operator error.  I went to plan B, a solid lid.  For the time being I have too many pressing projects so when I am more relaxed I will pull out some scraps and find the error.

Thank you for the commits.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood