Finished Walnut Buffet
Eurekan- Resawed then planed both to 5/16" then set in groove. Made them a fairly tight fit so no rattling. Left 1/8" all around for wood movement since with that wild grain I didn't know which way the wood would move.

Jtrneyck- thanks for the honest critique. I debated weather to use pulls (like shaker pulls) or handles. My wife liked the handle design so thats what i went with. What style do you think would look better on this piece.

There are two theories to arguing with a woman... neither works.

My stuff
Very nice!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I was thinking a Federal style pull and knob would be more appropriate.  Lots of variations, but here are a few to consider.  You can buy escutcheons, too, to put behind the knobs if you have to cover the existing holes.    

John
Thanks John. Didn't even look toward federal. Will have to see how it looks.

My stuff
I mentioned Federal because except for the rounded edge on the top the piece strikes me as very Federal in proportions.  Another option that might look good would be a simple bail pull.              

John
It's interesting I never really thought about the federal style. I got the size from what my wife wanted and then made a design around those dimensions but now that you say that it does have some federal influences. Funny how certain influences come into a persons design sence without realizing it.

My stuff
Thumbs Up 
Iimpressive workmanship does not even come close to describing your work and the selection and use of the walnut.
WOW.. a wonderful and beautiful piece. 

The only detracting, or should I say, distracting item I can see is the...... wallpaper! 
No

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”
Thomas A. Edison
Yes the wallpaper is ugly. We repaint the house later this year and it will be gone
Smile

My stuff
WOW is right
nice work I think it would be hard or imposible to take away from that piece
But I agree with John there might be a better choice for pulls