I just bribed the bride into letting me take over the storage room...
...and converting it into a turning room. In return, she gets her craft room completely remodeled, including built in shelving and a new floor.

My new turning room will be about 15'x12' with a small window. I'll also pack the dust collector in there and some wood storage. Unfortunately, there are several projects ahead of this, so it may be near the end of summer before I get around to it.

Now, I need to come up with a plan to get that big General 260 lathe down those stairs.

I'm thinking about sinking drilling a hole in the garage floor concrete, inserting a threaded pipe, and screwing an eyebolt into it. I could use that and a come-along to slowly ease it down a ramp built over the stairs. Whadyathink??
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
That is about the size of the garage (14x16) I have been working out of with all the wood equipment.  Glad you have your own shop now. 

I am thinking that if you put down 3/4 plywood on the steps you can slide everything down.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
When I started moving tools into the basement, I had 1 corner. I'm over half now. The best thing for me was tearing down a backyard shed, and replacing it with a big shed. That got things that were just being stored out of the way.

Before moving heavy tools downstairs, I beefed up the support under the steps. Originally just  treads and risers nailed together , I added in 2 upright frames on each side and everything got screwed together.

At the least, I'd take the bed off. Strap it on a dolly in 2 big pieces. It might be a lot of work, but it will get there.
I didn't mention this before, sorry. The stairs are poured concrete, and the walls on either side are also. There's even a lip at the bottom that could be used as a stop for the ramp, almost as if designed for just such a use.

I really don't know if it would actually be easier to take it apart to get it down there. Probably, but it doesn't SEEM like it'd be that tough to just ease it down a ramp if I can find a way to do so under control.. The whole lathe is on steel wheels (added after this photo was taken) that are bolted to thick metal plates welded onto the base.

It's the General 260;

[Image: 20170512_124101_zps1jlqjnfo.jpg]
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
At least, remove headstock, tailstock, banjos, bed extension, tools and rack. Get it as light as possible. I'd think about removing the casters for the trip down the steps.

Is a garage at the top of the stairs? If so, does it have a beam ? A good comealong could pick it up a few inches to remove the wheels and slide in a decent sled. Strap the lathe to the sled and use the comealong to ease it down the steps.

I'm just showing this as an example, but I'd use it for that.  https://www.harborfreight.com/8000-lb-ca...69855.html 

You might want to have an exit strategy. Hang on to everything you used to get it down. You won't have gravity on your side coming back up the steps.

How much do you think it weighs?  Granted, this isn't a big lathe, but still heavy and awkward. I bolted on handles to get it down the steps.

[Image: DSCN4177_zpszip7e6ko.jpg]

I have a big 2 wheel truck dolly that I bought from a guy that moved vending machines. That's how my lathe went down the steps.
How much does that thing weigh? Check with rental places for a "stair climber dolly". Search on you tube. We use them for moving vending machines

Can it be used for something this long?

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Vending machines are 6 feet tall, or close. You would have to stand the lathe on end???

That doesn't sound like a very good idea. Looking up 'stair climber dolly' on YouTube showed me some versions that could handle this lathe, just have to get the device under it by jacking it up or lifting it with a hoist.

Is this something that a moving company could handle? I may call a few tomorrow and get some quotes. I wouldn't mind paying a couple hundred to get it down there safely.

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
if you haven't figured this out and gotten that monster down the stairs yet, call a piano moving company. they have experience and equipment to move large, heavy things and may be able to help. I would take it apart and make it as light as you can. Also, if you are going to try to move it yourself, look up a piano moving dolly. They come in pairs and are designed to a) strap to each end of a piano - an upright is similar size and shape to your lathe and b) they have a mechanism that jacks the piano up off the floor once they are strapped in.