Overload switch - is this normal?
My table saw is a 20 year old Jet JWTS-10 saw, running on 120V. 

I just got it recently, and I am constantly having to push the reset button. 3/4 inch ash, 5 ft long, super slow feet rate - tripped the over load 5 times. 

Is this normal??

What can/should I do?

Thanks!
To do is to be (Camus)
To be is to do (Sartre)
Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo (Sinatra)
No, not normal. How is the blade? Stupid question, but is it mounted the right way?
Bearings? Is the belt on right?
Does the saw seem to run right when you fire it up?

Could be a bad overload, but there are many other possible things too

Blade is new, on right ;-)

Belt and bearings - hmmm -  gives me something to check.

overall sounds fine.
To do is to be (Camus)
To be is to do (Sartre)
Is the cut clean and smooth or is it burning? Is the fence parallel to the blade? Is the wood binding on the blade?

Using a long extension cord?

Any chance the motor is wired for 240?  A motor wired for 240 can run on 120 but will have half the power.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
I guess I could have checked all those things before posting.
To do is to be (Camus)
To be is to do (Sartre)
(06-11-2017, 08:58 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Using a long extension cord?

Any chance the motor is wired for 240?  A motor wired for 240 can run on 120 but will have half the power.

I'm betting on your second question being the most applicable...
One day, Chuck Norris ordered two pizzas to go.  They went.
It would seem strange after 20 years you suddenly have it wired for 240v running on 120v and not know it. The motor may not even start in this situation.
Check it anyway, but it sounds like another problem.

Disconnect power and turn the belt by hand and see if it takes too much effort than normal. Could be a tight bearing somewhere. Could be a run capacitor or motor winding.
(06-12-2017, 07:43 AM)daddo Wrote: It would seem strange after 20 years you suddenly have it wired for 240v running on 120v and not know it. The motor may not even start in this situation.
Check it anyway, but it sounds like another problem.

Disconnect power and turn the belt by hand and see if it takes too much effort than normal. Could be a tight bearing somewhere. Could be a run capacitor or motor winding.

Imagine if it were wired 240 it would also have a 240 plug for appropriate amperage.  

Compressed air, outdoors, and blow the mouse dung and cat fur out first.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(06-12-2017, 10:27 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Imagine if it were wired 240 it would also have a 240 plug for appropriate amperage.  

You can change the wiring at the motor and still have the same plug. (By accident or on purpose)