Power tools- Hand tools.
I think there is a kilowatt gap in the question
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(06-12-2017, 07:41 PM)ronlaughlin Wrote: The old carpenter addage:  Never walk when you can ride.
                                           Never stand when you can sit.
                                           Never use a hand tool, unless you cannot use a power tool.

Just like i tell loml why i won't drive her car with a stick trans. If i wanted to do it   manually id get out and walk....  

But with tools it all starts from electricity by electrical signals bouncing around the brain. So all tools take electricity to operate. Power tools take less power to operate in the end as they are labor saving devices and if it didnt save labor and energy over a hand tool it wouldnt get used.
So how many Joules does it take to make you brain have a thought, to think that you want to saw a board, and then how many joules does it take to move that arm back and forth 40 times or whatever it takes to saw the board?

Buncha darn electricians try to figure that one out...........

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
In the very old days before the Black Death changed everything and brought about the introduction of new labour saving tools and methods a good carpenter was supposed to be able to build a wooden farmhouse or a church or whatever using little more than two axes and a couple of chisels and a knife and an auger or two and a spokeshave and a sandstone for sharpening.
Quite a few of those buildings stand to this day serving their original purpose though most would by now be getting very close to the end of their functional lifespan if it wasn't for people weilling to spend a bit of extra effort on preserving old buildings.

We cannot ever beat that energy efficiency.
700 years of useful product life produced on the amount of firewood needed to mine that ore and smelt that iron and produce those few tools..... plus the amount of firewood and rye and barley and milk and beef and fish and wool and mutton and cowhides and sheepskils and flax needed to keep the workers alive.

After the Black Death when broadaxes were introduced to make up for the shortage of labour I am pretty sure there was a heated debate concerning whetner this new very costly and energy consuming tool really paid back all it's costs. Energy was costly when it had to be produced by hand.
...... and that was still long before those new fangled super costly pitsaws...... not to mention the artificially powered saws of today.....
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
I can tell you when in a hot attic trying to cut a 1" pipe with a dull hacksaw just exactly how many of those jules things is used...................................probably a whole bunch!   
Sad
Sharp hand tools power themselves...it's actually the only form of perpetual motion that actually exists.
Big Grin
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
(06-19-2017, 09:14 PM)daddo Wrote: I can tell you when in a hot attic trying to cut a 1" pipe with a dull hacksaw just exactly how many of those jules things  is used...................................probably a whole bunch!   
Sad

I'm really only familiar with "joules" as the unit of measure you discharge for different tasks to jump start a heart with a defibrillator. Hard core on an adult who is showing signs of being pretty much DRT is 360, unless you have Doctor who has cut the poor bastiages chest open, then directly in the cardiac muscle it's as low as 5 joules. Not gonna talk about chilluns, cause it is too depressing. Most of the adults had merit badges that thy earned their sudden death with years of smoking, drinking, eating fatty food, and of course never exercising.

For everyone else I imagine they use this......

joule

n. The International System unit of electrical, mechanical, and thermal energy.
n. A unit of electrical energy equal to the work done when a current of one ampere is passed through a resistance of one ohm for one second.
n. A unit of energy equal to the work done when a force of one newton acts through a distance of one meter.

I can shock ya back to life, but haven't a clue how to figure out the amount of joules to use, except that they tell you in Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS). It's one of those snappy Earn as you Learn courses Nurses, Doc's, Medic's, and wayward sailors learn. Considered very RUDE to use it to rouse drunks
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Shocking simply Shocking
Confused .