AC Hard Start Kit
I bought a house a few years ago and I notice that the lights flicker a little when the central AC kicks on.  a coworker mentioned there is a Hard Start Kit form a Company called 5-2-1 that fixes that issue and allegedly extends the life of the compressor.

I have never heard of this before, does anyone have any experience with these kits?  Is it worth it to put these on the compressor?
I've only heard of using them when required.  That is, older units that won't start w/o one.

I think it is basically a large cap that gives the motor the oomph needed to start-up.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
First you might check the elect service and make sure it is adequate for the load.
Many new systems don't require a start assist but if you have a TXV metering device on the indoor unit it doesn't hurt to install one.

Otherwise, you may have a compressor hard starting because of a weak run capacitor or a start winding going bad.

A slight flicker is normal. In fact, as I turn a system on at thermostat, I look for the lights to "flicker" to let me know the outdoor unit is being energized.
When I had my system installed they added one.  The tech thought it was a great idea and since it was free to me I didn't worry about it.  Heat pump is still running fine 12 years later.
For peace of mind, I would do a voltage drop test at the unit and breaker panel including the main for the house. A high drop when the unit starts could be caused by degrading connections somewhere in the feed to the unit.  If those are all ok, a hard start may extend the life of the unit and cure the flicker, it won't hurt anyway.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories.