Collapsable Saw horse
I have an old pair of the Stanley 30" plastic folding sawhorses, and inherited an old 36" high pair of Storehorse folding sawhorses. I relay like the Storehorse, both for the height so it is easy on the back, and they have two 1/2" EMT in each leg for strength. Only problem with them is that last time I checked they were around $100 EACH!
Eek

So I worked up my own design to copy the style of the folders. Used up all my 3/4" scraps and made 4, 2 @ 30" and 2 @ 36".
Even with my original design, the cost for hinges and a new sheet of 3/4" plywood would cost about $80 for four of them.
Plus, I added a second sacrificial strip on top, using brass screws from underneath (to protect my saw blades).

Then I found the design on Instructables, Folding Sawhorses

And took his ideas and simplified mine a bit. Can't attach the PDFs, so here are links for TIF images...

Mike "Dodis"
I purchased this set a number of years ago, http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-Adjus.../203799620 . Prior to buying these I had used the metal version where the legs fold up in the housing. Got tired of cutting my hands on the metal edges.
(06-14-2017, 08:48 PM)fall Wrote: [Image: FH12OCT_GRTSAH_14.JPG]  I have a set of these and like them a lot. Plus you can replaced the wood top. Cheap, light weight, and don't take up a lot of room when taking them someplace. (very strong)

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/...kILw&adurl=

I have had a bunch of Ho made, and store bought saw horses over the years. Last I did anything with HfH I bought a pile of these metal ones, and we would just go long ways with a couple of 8' 2x4's. I think these are the same I have a pile of. Legs fold inward, and collapse up into the cavity, plus they stack to get just one floor space. If I had run into these first I never would have made one, and sure wouldn't have bought any others.

If I ever made any others they would be along the lines of these. definitely something that could easily tear down, and reset so all you needed to store was a smallish pile.

[Image: 409611_400.jpg]
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(06-15-2017, 03:53 PM)sweensdv2 Wrote: I purchased this set a number of years ago, http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-Adjus.../203799620 .  Prior to buying these I had used the metal version where the legs fold up in the housing.  Got tired of cutting my hands on the metal edges.

Ummmmmm, let me introduce you to these, they are a brand new idea.......

[Image: 6-pair-of-grain-leather-work-gloves-with...=300&w=300]

GW
I had a pair of very basic, plastic folding saw horses that I used frequently for temporary work surface (place a door across the top).
One of them broke (~8 years of use).

I "upgraded" to the toughbuilt metal sawhorses.  These are heavier and therefore more stable if shifting the top surface.  I liked the idea of the recesses on the side for 2x4 supports.  In practice, I don't use them -- primarily because the space is wider than my door top.  Could be good if you had a sheet of plywood at this size.  I disliked that it was a bit fiddly to expand and collapse -- figure out which side needs to come out first, press the release, and then pull.  Stowing the legs requires mostly closing one, and then partially closing the 2nd before completely closing the first.  I haven't cut myself, but I don't like the edges on the metal, either.

I recently picked up another set of plastic sawhorses, although I still use both sets.

Matt
Im with Steve. I have the metal ones I got at menards that are like $10 each and you put your own 2x on the top. Ive had them for probably 15 years or so.

Not sure WHY I would need anything else?

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

I watched a few YT videos.about the Masterforce Adjustable Steel Sawhorse and am pretty convinced.
A pair of these will most likely be my father's day gift.
Before the suggestions above I had not even thought about buying anything, much less having steel horses. Sure it costs more than just making them, but I can't make them with that kind of quality without giving up more of my precious time than a saw horse is worth to me. I really like how they collapse so compactly, have adjustable legs for better stance when working in the yard, and I can just hang them on the wall in my shed taking up so little space.
They won't have the nastalgia of wooden horses but so what. It's a horse, not a classic workbench.
Thanks!
Ray
(06-16-2017, 11:23 AM)DogwoodTales Wrote: I watched a few YT videos.about the Masterforce Adjustable Steel Sawhorse and am pretty convinced.
A pair of these will most likely be my father's day gift.
Before the suggestions above I had not even thought about buying anything, much less having steel horses. Sure it costs more than just making them, but I can't make them with that kind of quality without giving up more of my precious time than a saw horse is worth to me. I really like how they collapse so compactly, have adjustable legs for better stance when working in the yard, and I can just hang them on the wall in my shed taking up so little space.
They won't have the nastalgia of wooden horses but so what. It's a horse, not a classic workbench.
Thanks!

Please let me warn you off of what I called THE WOBBLE MASTERS Those were possibly the worst of the worst. If you got anywhere near 2600# on those things I wouldn't get closer than 50 feet from you, cause bad things were going to happen. Plus realistically how do you stack that much weight on a saw horse? They wobble terribly, as if they were always about to collapse. They allude to height adjustment with the "locking leg braces" lemme tell you those legs are where the wigggling starts, and that is on a flat floor, set the off in the grass, or worse yet an uneven lot, and you can get to earthquake quickly. Mine were yellow, and I got them at HD years ago, but it is the same bad marketing.

Menards also sells The real deal metal sawhorse So far several have suggested this, it's not an accident. IIRC the worst thing said is they do come with sharp metal edges on the legs. You can file that off, or wear gloves. They self store, are rock solid for as much weight as you will ever want to put on a saw horse including doubled up 2x10's 16' long set atop one pair of these, and they were literally lined with Men painting the sides of a HfH house. Did I mention they are less than half the cost of the ones you are looking at. Lowes, HD and a lot of other places sell them too. Google "Storaway™ Folding Steel Sawhorse" you will not be sorry.

Say that fat old Man doesn't know what he is talking about and buy those junkers I call the wobble master, and you'll likely say darn, should have listened.........
Big Grin

GW
If you want the best metal saw horse and are willing to pay the price for quality, buy a pair of Fulton StableMate saw horses. They will be the last saw horses you will ever need to buy. I've had a pair for more than 30 years. They're heavy-duty, incredibly stable and very compact when folded. Available in 30" and 36" heights. You can find them for around $65 each.

http://www.fultoncorp.com/stablemate-fol...-sawhorse/

http://www.truevalue.com/product/36-Inch.../11670.uts -- $62 for 30" height

https://www.amazon.com/StableMate-SH4230...op?ie=UTF8 -- Customer Reviews
Fair enough, Steve. I'll do a comparison of them and decide fromantic there.
Thanks!
Ray