SherwinWilliams Varnish is still tacky
The project: a simple butler's tray, cherry.

The finish process: Sealcoat dewaxed shellac, next day one coat satin clear varnish.

The problem: SherwinWilliams  "Wood Classics FastDRY Oil Varnish was applied (one coat) over one coat of "Sealcoat" dewaxed shellac. After three days the varnish is still tacky to the touch. The can says it will dry in four to six hours. After four hours it was about as dry as it is three days later. The shellac was hard dry. The varnish was applied at 70 degrees with about 50% humidity. The project is a simple butler's table so any tackiness is unacceptable.

Any ideas to solve this problem? Thanks to all.
Now I always use a splitter. Learned the easy way.
Was the varnish new or an old, partially used can?  How did you apply it? 

I've had that problem with really, really old varnish or when the humidity is really high and the temp is low.  If the finish is really old, there's no solution other than to strip it off and start over with fresh product.  If the varnish was new then I'd try putting the piece where it's warmer and let a fan circulate air over it.  If that doesn't cure the varnish in a day, then I'd strip it off - and go to SW's and ask for a refund, and use a different product.  

John
It sure sounds like old varnish to me, though I suppose it's possible that it's a bad batch. The gentle breeze trick (fan blowing over it) may help, I'd try that before moving on to something that's more work.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Did you thin the varnish with anything ?    Roly
Yes, the varnish had been bought a few years ago and was half empty. I was ignorant concerning the age factor of varnish. I had not thinned it.

Thanks for all the help.
Now I always use a splitter. Learned the easy way.
Most oil base finishes will keep indefinitely if UNopened. But once the seal is broke, it's more of a crap shoot.....and I think yours is almost certainly shot. The fan trick may still help, at least tru it for a few days (if you have time).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.